The main focus of the event was the iPhone, judging by the name of it “Let’s talk iPhone” however most of you out there will feel that this update lacked the hype that we were seeing the past few weeks in which everyone expected it to be the launch of the “iPhone 5” a redesigned iPhone. Let’s face it I thought the same as well but judging by the updates we’ve seen today it is still something good and not to be shunned away. I personally will be purchasing a brand new iPhone since I’ve been wanting a White one and the selling feature for me was the increased capacity (yes I eat capacity from my iPhone!)
Judging by the looks of it, the iPhone 4S has the same outside design as the current iPhone 4 but it’s the inside that has change, after all beauty is within a person (or in this case device). It has the same retina display available in today’s device and the same glass on the back but let’s try to see what’s new.
So what’s new with the iPhone 4S?
- It has an A5 Chip which is up to 2 times faster than before, with dual-core graphics which are said to be 7 times faster than previous iPhone (Yay SPEED!)
- Battery life has improved to 8 hrs for 3G Talk time, 14 hrs for 2G Talk time, 6 hrs for 3G browsing, 9 hrs for Wi-Fi browsing, 10 hrs for Video, and 40 hrs for music. “Fantastic battery life.” (Let’s hope it actually performs that way!)
- It has a completely redesigned antenna system for the iPhone 4S making the device the first phone to intelligently switch between antennas for sending and receiving. It also supports both GSM & CDMA technology, and supports HSDPA download speeds of up to 14.4 Mbps, twice that of the iPhone 4. (Wooohooo Faster downloads!)
- It includes an all new camera with the most advanced optics of any phone. The 8 megapixel sensor has 60% more pixels so you can take amazing high quality photos with more detail than ever. It includes a new custom lens, a larger f/2.4 aperture and an advanced hybrid IR filter that produces sharper, brighter and more accurate images. It has backside illumination that gives you 73% more light. It’s faster too – one third quicker! There is a new image signal processor that Apple designed, enabling face detection and 26 % better balance.
- The camera is now fully capable of recording 1080p HD resolution videos with video image stabilization and temporal noise reduction.
- Airplay Mirroring is now available on the iPhone 4S and so amazing to watch yourself playing the game on a big screen TV wirelessly!
- Comes with iOS5 built-in.
- It comes with Siri, an intelligent assistant that helps you get things done just by asking it nicely. It is launching as a beta with support for English, French, and German, additional languages will be added later. Siri basically lets you use your voice to send messages, schedule meetings, place phone calls, and more. Ask Siri to do things just by talking the way you talk. Siri understands what you say, knows what you mean, and even talks back. Siri is so easy to use and does so much, you’ll keep finding more and more ways to use it.
And that is basically most of the new features of the brand new iPhone 4S. You want to know how much it costs? Well the 16GB model is selling for $199, 32GB model is selling for $299, and the brand new [yes you heard it right] 64GB model is selilng for $399 (with a 2 year contract). The unlocked version prices should be available soon. It will be available for pre-order on October 7th with availability in retail stores and shipping date of October 14th in the United States, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the United Kingdom.
The iPhone 4S will debut in an additional 22 countries by the end of October (October 28th). Those countries include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. [For more info click here]
And with that my friends I give you the “most amazing iPhone ever,” as stated by our new dear friend Tim Cook.
I was somewhat disappointed with the event with the lack of an updated redesigned iPhone 5 but at the same time I expected the iPhone 4S since Apple recently redesigned it so it was just too soon. So I will be getting a brand new one, a white 64GB model to add to my collection courtesy of an early birthday present from father dearest!
P.S. The iPhone 4 is now available in 8GB model for 99$ and the iPhone 3GS 8GB model for Free.
At the event we were introduced to the brand new iPod nano which does not feature an updated form factor but instead it has interface changes to imrpove the navigation and they gave us 16 new clock faces to facilitate its use as a watch. Its fitness features have also improved with Nike+ compatibility out of the box with no requirement for additional accessories to track walks and runs. Let’s give it to you in bullet points shall we?
What’s new with the iPod nano?
- Larger icons for easier navigation
- 16 new clock faces including a range of designs from a Mickey Mouse watch to a classic digital and Roman numeral design
- Nike+ compatibility out of the box (no need for extra setup), capable of tracking distance traveled, pace, time and more out of the box
- Instead of a grid menu it is now a horizontal and you can swip to get through them.
The best thing about the iPod nano? It’s price is now reduced! The 8GB is available for $129 and the 16GB is available for $149. They are available from today in 7 colors for both capacities: silver, graphite, blue, green, orange, pink, and red. [Order now]
The next introduction was for the iPod touch one of the major updates was with the price reduction as well as the availability of the white model.
What’s new with the iPod touch?
- Ultra thin design
- Retina display
- HD video recording
- iOS 5 and iCloud
Similar to the iPod nano, the price reduction makes this an awesome deal with the prices of $199 for 8GB model, $299 for 32GB model, and $399 for 64GB model. All sizes come in both black & white and they will be available for order on October 12th same date as the release of the iOS5. [Order Later]
On this day we witnessed the updates that Apple has deigned to grace us with. The event marked the first event in which Tim Cook introduces new products and is the first event in which we did not see our beloved Steve Jobs. For this event I will be posting each update separately in different posts so as to not over crowd your eyes with talk here and there. So let’s give you a summary:
- Tim Cook took the stage and gave us the updates in regards to the retail store launch, there are now 357 total stores in 11 countries. He gave a walk through each of Apple’s four product areas: The Mac and Lion: 6 million copies of Lion sold so far up 80% of Snow Leopard and 23% year-over-year growth for Mac, 58 million users; Music: market share has been above 70% for a very long time and the iPod has 78% share right now with over 300 million iPods sold, and the iTunes Store has 20 million tracks with over 16 billion downloads; iPhone: 125% year-over-year growth, the iPhone 4 is responsible for over half of their total iPhone Sales ever #1 smartphone in the world; and finally iPad: has 75% market share in the US with high customer satisfaction rating and iPads showing up everywhere it is the #1 tablet in the world.
- Scott Forstall came on stage to talk about iOS5 highlighting the top ten features which were mentioned earlier this year. Before that we were given an overview of iOS being the #1 mobile operating system with 43% market share, Apple has paid out $3 billion to developers and sold 18 billion App Store downloads. Top ten features: Notification Center, iMessage, Reminders app, Twitter Integration, Newstand, Camera app, Game Center, Safari, Mail, PC-Free Setup. iOS5 will be available as a free download on October 12th.
- Cards, a new app released by apple that allows you to create your own greeting card on your phone and Apple will print your photo/design and mail it to them for 2.99$ mailed within the US and 4.99$ worldwide. The app is a free download available on October 12th.
- Eddy Cue came on stage to discuss iCloud highlighting its features: it is integrated right into apps, everything happens automatically, photo stream documents in the cloud, and the coolest thing is that daily backups of contacts and calendars across your devices are up in the cloud. Find my Friends is a new app in which you can share your location with a bunch of friends and stalk them. iTunes Match is the ability to scan and match your entire library to the iTunes Catalog, create and edit playlists, updated across devices for only 24.99$ per year. iCloud launches October 12th, iTunes Match at end of October in the US.
- Phil Schiller came on stage to talk about the iPods and introduces the new iPod Nano and iPod Touch. (Goodbye iPod Classic, you are as good as dead) [Link]
- iPhone 4S is introduced [Link]
- Scott Forstall on stage for a Siri demo.
- Phil Schiller back on stage to continue with the Siri demo.
- Tim Cook back on stage to wrap up.
And with that marks the end of the event.
We are almost 2 hours away from the Apple “Let’s talk iPhone” event and I am getting excited hell I am sitting here anticipating a brand new baby to come out! My new child! Yaay! A new addition to my family it’s been a while since I last purchased an Apple product, last time was hmmm I believe April with my MacBook Pro!
Can’t wait! I’m counting the minutes! Be sure to come back later to see the post summarizing the event!
P.S. I am actually moments away from copying his pose!
One of the main reasons I have started to blog more is the fact that I downloaded an application from the Mac App Store called “MarsEdit” it is a desktop blog editting tool for Mac and based on the website and my opinion:
The best way to write, preview, and publish your blog.
For the price of 39.95$ (which is not so cheap) you get an awesome blogging tool that makes you ditch the web-based WordPress Dashboard which at times becomes so slow due to the Web Browser you view it in. Sometimes you don’t want to be online in order to write your posts but you have to get online to actually access the back-end of your site to write them with this app, in other words you would be able to “think outside the browser.”
Personal Opinion: I’ve been using it for the past week or so and I absolutely love it. My main love about this application is the way you upload the photo into the post instead of waiting for it to upload via the web it just gets in there and all you need to do is publish it and then it gets uploaded along with the post. Now when blogging it is easier and faster and I get to not want to kill myself waiting for an image to upload and insert. If you are a Mac user then I highly recommend this app. True it’s a bit expensive but it sure is worth it. If you ever lost a post due to your browser freezing, or site going down now it’s so much easier to access it all with this offline application.
- Rich and HTML Text Editing: Whether you love HTML or can’t bear the sight of it, MarsEdit’s editor will thrill you. If you prefer the best of both worlds, you can switch easily between the two.
- Wildly Compatible: works well with WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr, Squarespace, TypePad, Movable Type and dozens more through standard MetaWeblog and AtomPub interfaces.
- Perfect Previews: Build a template to match your blog, then let MarsEdit’s live preview show you how your posts will look before you publish them. Use Markdown? MarsEdit will preview that, too.
- Your Editor or Ours: Combine the power of MarsEdit with your favorite editor. Integrates cleanly with BBEdit, SubEthaEdit, TextMate, TextWrangler, and any editor that supports that ODBEditor suite.
- Media at your Fingertips: Quickly scan your iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom, or Flickr libraries, and insert images into your blog post with the click of a button.
- Easy File Uploads: Upload images and files directly to your blog, or attach them to a post for automatic upload-on-publish. MarsEdit will even resize them to suit your needs.
- Re-Blog It!: Add our “Blog This” bookmarklet to your browser’s button bar. Now when you discover something cool, you can start a new MarsEdit post with the click of a button.
- Offline Freedom: Write when you want to, without an internet connection. Fine-tune your masterpiece on the boat, plane, or train, and publish when you get back online.
Read More about it and maybe even purchase it here. [Link]
It was circulated yesterday that Apple has sent out their official invites for their upcoming press conference. On October 4th 2011 we will see the updates that will be featured in our brand new iPhone, whether it will be called iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 is still up for grabs but I can’t wait! next Tuesday at 8:00PM Kuwait Time if you want to avoid a flood of Apple news then avoid my twitter account because I will be like a kid opening her presents on Christmas eve.
The conference will be led by Apple’s new CEO (yes my love Steve Jobs resigned a month ago and I didn’t write about it because well I was upset) Tim Cook and will take place at Apple’s Cupertino headquarters. Rumors indicate that the phone will be announced at the conference and ready to ship out on October 14th, only time will tell if this rumor is true otherwise I can’t wait! I am uber excited!
June 6th! One of my favorite days of the year, it’s not really important but I just like the number 6 it’s cool! This is the day Apple chose to hold their World Wide Developers Convention and what a day it was!
3 Things were on the table this time around with “1 More Thing” and they were: OS X Lion, iOS5, and iCloud. Before I get into them let me just start off by saying that I am even more in love right now with my Apple babies than I was before simply because OS X Lion and iOS 5 will change the future for everything they’re that awesome! So here goes:
OS X Lion:
OS X Lion got it’s debut late last year during their October 20th Event, however today Apple decided to show off 10 of it’s 250 new features revisiting some of their favorites that were shown off in the beginning and adding some new ones. Some of the new features include: Windows Migration Assistant, a newer version of FileVault, Face-Time will be built-in and so much more.
The most important features that were discussed include:
1) Multi-touch gestures: that are similar to iOS such as Swipe, pinch, etc.
2) Full Screen Applications: a feature that was taken from iOS where launching an app on the iPad expands to the full screen now you can do the same thing with your Mac. Multi touch features get you to navigate from one place to another.
3) Mission Control: One of the best features and the naughtiest sounding ones in Lion is the combination of Spaces, Expose and an App Switcher it makes switching between apps so much more sexier!
4) Enhanced Photo Booth: This makes the app able to follow your face and make “targeted facial enhancements”, such as making just your eyes bigger, etc.
5) Mac App Store: Nothing more will be mentioned here as we all know and use it!
6) Launchpad: Imagine having your iPad as your Laptop/Desktop and launching your application that same way, well it’s been done and now finding and organizing your apps will be so much easier and so much more cooler!
7) Resume: Just like in iOS where you launch an app and you resume from where you left off, the same thing happens in Lion. Now when you reboot, all of your windows and apps return to how they were and Lion auto-saves everything making it easier to find the different versions of the files you’ve got.
8) Air Drop: This sexy feature enables you to share documents/photos/etc by running AirDrop and displaying the nearby machines that it can see, sending files will be a just drag and drop situation. The recipient will receive a message and they confirm that they want the file then it downloads. Sharing just became more sexier!
9) Mail: Redesigned and looking so much more delicious! It’s smarter and looks similar to Gmail but on steroids!
Lion will be priced at 29.99$ and will only be available on the Mac App Store as a 4GB download, allowing users to pay once and install it on all of their machines just like the Mac App Store apps. A specific date was not announced however it was mentioned that it will be launched during the month of July and customers who purchase a Mac between today and Lion launch day in July will get the upgrade free from the App Store.
The second major thing discussed in the event was the much awaited and anticipated update the iOS 5 for its iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. The new major features make any of your iOS devices feel like something else, something entirely new! iOS 5 comes with 200 new features and in the Keynote 10 major features were debuted in which we saw a completely revamped notifications system (thank god!), over-the-air software updates and activation for new devices, and iTunes library syncing over Wi-Fi.
The top 10 features are:
1) Notifications: This is a major update since the previous notification system was elementary to begin with. Apple recently hired the developer Peter Hajas who released the “Mobile Notifier” app via Cydia to revamp their notification system what you saw with Mobile Notifier is done now through iOS5 (and that my friends is the reason I never jailbreak I have faith that the features will come if I wait! :P) Anyways The Notification Center will aggregate all notifications, accessed by swiping down from the status bar at the top of the screen. Notifications now can be displayed on the lock screen along with weather and stock alerts. Tapping a notification will automatically open the related app. This brings the iPhone into the newest century and most of its pet peeves will be gone!
2) Newstand: a new app that is similar to iBooks but brings you an actual Newstand to your iPhone, now you can subscribe to your favorite newspapers and magazines and new issues will be automatically downloaded in the background when they are released (I don’t know what this will do to my Zinio subscriptions just hope that the prices are highly competitve!)
3) Twitter: Twitter is now integrated into iOS in most of its apps including Camera, Photos, Maps, and Safari. Contacts can be updated automatically with their twitter handles this makes it so much more easier to tweet a picture, link, or whatever comes to mind! And it looks as sexy as hell!
5) Reminders: a new app that is added to offer task tracking or list creations with geolocation capabilities, think making a to-do list with alerts coming when you arrive or leave a certain location! Very smart indeed!
6) Camera: No matter how many additional Camera apps we download we still go back to the main one to do most of our picture taking, and it’s great, the revamp now shows a shortcut available from the lock screen for quicker access to the Camera app not to mention the ability to use the volume up button as a trigger to take a picture. Photo editing features have been added to the iPhoto app editing things like cropping, rotating, plus red-eye reduction.
7) Mail: Some significant changes that will be seen in this app include rich text formatting, message flagging, draggable addresses, along with so many other features.
[New Keyboard] Keyboard enhancements have been made so that you are able to actually type with both hands by splitting the keyboard and making everything more thumb-friendly on the iPad.
8) PC Free: Now this is where the money is! iOS 5 will make you get rid of your PC, you no longer need it to activate your new iOS device, nor do you need it for any of the iOS updates, everything will be done over the air. iTunes library will also do it’s syncing wirelessly with your iTunes account over Wi-Fi. This makes it so much easier to use the device straight out of the box without connecting it to your computer [sort of like what I did with my *ugh* Blackberry Play *shudders*] If you are wondering how you can do an iOS update over the air well these updates will now be delta updates in which you get what’s changed without the need to download the whole iOS all over again! Say good-bye to 500MB+ iOS update files!
9) GameCenter: It’s getting more social in which you are going to be seeing the scores of your friends’ friends, also getting friend recommendations, game recommendations basically Twitter for your Games! You will be able to purchase and download games directly from the Game Center.
10) iMessage: Say good-bye to the Blackberry Messenger because Apple just pwned their asses! They’ve always had awesome messaging clients and now they have spread it onto their iOS devices. iMessage is a New messaging service between all iOS users! It lets you send text messages, photos, videos, contacts, and even do group messaging all over your iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch! And since it’s available through cross-device you can start a conversation on your iPhone and continue it on your iPad or vice versa. It works over Wifi and 3G so should be awesome!
*Airplay Mirroring will also be available in which you no longer need the Apple Digital HD adapter to mirror your device on your HD TV, all you need is an AppleTV or an AirPlay device!
You will be getting all these beautiful features and more this fall with the release of iOS 5, however developers will be able to have access to the update today! It will support only the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2, and iPod Touch 3rd and 4th generations.
Also coming this fall via iOS5 and Lion will be the new feature iCloud. Apple has decided to give us a digital hub available in the clouds, all devices can talk to the cloud whenever they want and sync all their data. With this iCloud gives users 5GB of free storage for Mail, documents and backups, purchased music, apps, and books don’t count in that 5GB. Basically what happened here is that Apple is eliminating the need to physically sync all your devices to your computer which used to be the hub, since keeping the devices synced is crazy! [I hear yah!] So in a way iCloud completely replaced MobileMe Mail, Contacts, and Calenar since they are all free and they will all be updated across your devices just like what they currently do. But that’s not all, you see users now can see their purchase history on all devices via the App Store, iBooks and your progress in them will also be synced across all devices. Not to mention that you can now edit a document in iWork on a Mac and it gets pushed instantly to the cloud and you will be able to tweak it in Pages on an iPad and so much more! Apple has been working for 10 years to get rid of the file-storage system and now with iCloud they can do that!
One More Thing: iTunes Match
In addition to all the above, Apple decided to roll out iTunes in the Cloud. The service is free for songs purchased through the iTunes Store, while there is an “iTunes Match” service priced at 24.99$ a year that extends the program to your ripped music. iCloud will eliminate the hassle and pain of syncing your music purchased through iTunes by pushing it into the Cloud. Using the new Automatic Downloads feature content purchased via iTunes is pushed to mobile devices and vice cersa. Users will consequently have all their songs, automatically, wherever they are, on up to ten devices. Now that’s cool!