June 6th! One of my favorite days of the year, it’s not really important but I just like the number 6 it’s cool! This is the day Apple chose to hold their World Wide Developers Convention and what a day it was!
3 Things were on the table this time around with “1 More Thing” and they were: OS X Lion, iOS5, and iCloud. Before I get into them let me just start off by saying that I am even more in love right now with my Apple babies than I was before simply because OS X Lion and iOS 5 will change the future for everything they’re that awesome! So here goes:
OS X Lion:
OS X Lion got it’s debut late last year during their October 20th Event, however today Apple decided to show off 10 of it’s 250 new features revisiting some of their favorites that were shown off in the beginning and adding some new ones. Some of the new features include: Windows Migration Assistant, a newer version of FileVault, Face-Time will be built-in and so much more.
The most important features that were discussed include:
1) Multi-touch gestures: that are similar to iOS such as Swipe, pinch, etc.
2) Full Screen Applications: a feature that was taken from iOS where launching an app on the iPad expands to the full screen now you can do the same thing with your Mac. Multi touch features get you to navigate from one place to another.
3) Mission Control: One of the best features and the naughtiest sounding ones in Lion is the combination of Spaces, Expose and an App Switcher it makes switching between apps so much more sexier!
4) Enhanced Photo Booth: This makes the app able to follow your face and make “targeted facial enhancements”, such as making just your eyes bigger, etc.
5) Mac App Store: Nothing more will be mentioned here as we all know and use it!
6) Launchpad: Imagine having your iPad as your Laptop/Desktop and launching your application that same way, well it’s been done and now finding and organizing your apps will be so much easier and so much more cooler!
7) Resume: Just like in iOS where you launch an app and you resume from where you left off, the same thing happens in Lion. Now when you reboot, all of your windows and apps return to how they were and Lion auto-saves everything making it easier to find the different versions of the files you’ve got.
8) Air Drop: This sexy feature enables you to share documents/photos/etc by running AirDrop and displaying the nearby machines that it can see, sending files will be a just drag and drop situation. The recipient will receive a message and they confirm that they want the file then it downloads. Sharing just became more sexier!
9) Mail: Redesigned and looking so much more delicious! It’s smarter and looks similar to Gmail but on steroids!
Lion will be priced at 29.99$ and will only be available on the Mac App Store as a 4GB download, allowing users to pay once and install it on all of their machines just like the Mac App Store apps. A specific date was not announced however it was mentioned that it will be launched during the month of July and customers who purchase a Mac between today and Lion launch day in July will get the upgrade free from the App Store.
The second major thing discussed in the event was the much awaited and anticipated update the iOS 5 for its iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. The new major features make any of your iOS devices feel like something else, something entirely new! iOS 5 comes with 200 new features and in the Keynote 10 major features were debuted in which we saw a completely revamped notifications system (thank god!), over-the-air software updates and activation for new devices, and iTunes library syncing over Wi-Fi.
The top 10 features are:
1) Notifications: This is a major update since the previous notification system was elementary to begin with. Apple recently hired the developer Peter Hajas who released the “Mobile Notifier” app via Cydia to revamp their notification system what you saw with Mobile Notifier is done now through iOS5 (and that my friends is the reason I never jailbreak I have faith that the features will come if I wait! :P) Anyways The Notification Center will aggregate all notifications, accessed by swiping down from the status bar at the top of the screen. Notifications now can be displayed on the lock screen along with weather and stock alerts. Tapping a notification will automatically open the related app. This brings the iPhone into the newest century and most of its pet peeves will be gone!
2) Newstand: a new app that is similar to iBooks but brings you an actual Newstand to your iPhone, now you can subscribe to your favorite newspapers and magazines and new issues will be automatically downloaded in the background when they are released (I don’t know what this will do to my Zinio subscriptions just hope that the prices are highly competitve!)
3) Twitter: Twitter is now integrated into iOS in most of its apps including Camera, Photos, Maps, and Safari. Contacts can be updated automatically with their twitter handles this makes it so much more easier to tweet a picture, link, or whatever comes to mind! And it looks as sexy as hell!
5) Reminders: a new app that is added to offer task tracking or list creations with geolocation capabilities, think making a to-do list with alerts coming when you arrive or leave a certain location! Very smart indeed!
6) Camera: No matter how many additional Camera apps we download we still go back to the main one to do most of our picture taking, and it’s great, the revamp now shows a shortcut available from the lock screen for quicker access to the Camera app not to mention the ability to use the volume up button as a trigger to take a picture. Photo editing features have been added to the iPhoto app editing things like cropping, rotating, plus red-eye reduction.
7) Mail: Some significant changes that will be seen in this app include rich text formatting, message flagging, draggable addresses, along with so many other features.
[New Keyboard] Keyboard enhancements have been made so that you are able to actually type with both hands by splitting the keyboard and making everything more thumb-friendly on the iPad.
8) PC Free: Now this is where the money is! iOS 5 will make you get rid of your PC, you no longer need it to activate your new iOS device, nor do you need it for any of the iOS updates, everything will be done over the air. iTunes library will also do it’s syncing wirelessly with your iTunes account over Wi-Fi. This makes it so much easier to use the device straight out of the box without connecting it to your computer [sort of like what I did with my *ugh* Blackberry Play *shudders*] If you are wondering how you can do an iOS update over the air well these updates will now be delta updates in which you get what’s changed without the need to download the whole iOS all over again! Say good-bye to 500MB+ iOS update files!
9) GameCenter: It’s getting more social in which you are going to be seeing the scores of your friends’ friends, also getting friend recommendations, game recommendations basically Twitter for your Games! You will be able to purchase and download games directly from the Game Center.
10) iMessage: Say good-bye to the Blackberry Messenger because Apple just pwned their asses! They’ve always had awesome messaging clients and now they have spread it onto their iOS devices. iMessage is a New messaging service between all iOS users! It lets you send text messages, photos, videos, contacts, and even do group messaging all over your iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch! And since it’s available through cross-device you can start a conversation on your iPhone and continue it on your iPad or vice versa. It works over Wifi and 3G so should be awesome!
*Airplay Mirroring will also be available in which you no longer need the Apple Digital HD adapter to mirror your device on your HD TV, all you need is an AppleTV or an AirPlay device!
You will be getting all these beautiful features and more this fall with the release of iOS 5, however developers will be able to have access to the update today! It will support only the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2, and iPod Touch 3rd and 4th generations.
Also coming this fall via iOS5 and Lion will be the new feature iCloud. Apple has decided to give us a digital hub available in the clouds, all devices can talk to the cloud whenever they want and sync all their data. With this iCloud gives users 5GB of free storage for Mail, documents and backups, purchased music, apps, and books don’t count in that 5GB. Basically what happened here is that Apple is eliminating the need to physically sync all your devices to your computer which used to be the hub, since keeping the devices synced is crazy! [I hear yah!] So in a way iCloud completely replaced MobileMe Mail, Contacts, and Calenar since they are all free and they will all be updated across your devices just like what they currently do. But that’s not all, you see users now can see their purchase history on all devices via the App Store, iBooks and your progress in them will also be synced across all devices. Not to mention that you can now edit a document in iWork on a Mac and it gets pushed instantly to the cloud and you will be able to tweak it in Pages on an iPad and so much more! Apple has been working for 10 years to get rid of the file-storage system and now with iCloud they can do that!
One More Thing: iTunes Match
In addition to all the above, Apple decided to roll out iTunes in the Cloud. The service is free for songs purchased through the iTunes Store, while there is an “iTunes Match” service priced at 24.99$ a year that extends the program to your ripped music. iCloud will eliminate the hassle and pain of syncing your music purchased through iTunes by pushing it into the Cloud. Using the new Automatic Downloads feature content purchased via iTunes is pushed to mobile devices and vice cersa. Users will consequently have all their songs, automatically, wherever they are, on up to ten devices. Now that’s cool!
Last Tuesday, May 3rd I was pretty busy hanging out at the MSNBC Cafe waiting to see Jimmy Fallon that I was not able to report on the brand new release of these awesome monster machines.
Apple released an update to their iMac line, upgrading the processors to Quad-Core CPUs throughout the entire line as well as including Thunderbolt. The new iMacs now feature Quad-Core Intel Core i5 Processors with an option to upgrade to the Core i7 processors up to 3.4 GHz.
The second I heard this piece of news I felt jealous and wanted to grab an iMac 27″ again (I had recently sold my previous model as it was causing me more headache than I could deal with [turned out to be a power issue]) but then again I just purchased a MacBook Pro 17″ Model therefore I am not allowed another computer (until maybe my birthday *shhh!*).
Anyways the awesome specs and prices are seen below, and there is an awesome upgradeable option for the 27″ models to have a 2TB HDD + 256GB SSD drive which would make it an insane rocking machine not to mention an option to upgrade the RAM up to 16GB!
21.5″ Model [Base]: 2.5GHz Quad Core i5, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB, 500GB [Price: $1199]
21.5″ Model [High]: 2.7GHz Quad Core i6, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB, 1TB [Price: $1499]
27″ Model [Base]: 2.7GHz Quad Core i5, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB, 1TB [Price $1699]
27″ Model [High]: 3.1GHz Quad Core i5, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB, 1TB [Price $1999]
The 21.5 inch models have 1 Thunderbolt port whereas the 27 inch models have two. The processors are said to deliver up to 70% faster performance while AMD graphics is responsible for a threefold jump in performance over the previous generation. There are new FaceTime HD Cameras which support Hi-def video calling between all FaceTime HD-enabled Macs and iPads, iPhones, as well as iPod Touches. This refresh brings in a breath of fresh powerful air in the Mac World and will probably sell like hotcakes!
I will be starting a series of my Travelling posts and the awesome stuff I bought from the States and one of the things was an accessory I got for my iPad2 as well as my little sister’s iPad2!
It’s the Gelaskin!
I can’t really take the time off from my day of walking around the city to sit and write about my adventures but sometimes I just feel that I have to! Because what I’ve done these past few days was awesome! I will tell you guys more but let me summarize my New York stay in just a few words right now and also include my gadget shopping spree I went on!
New York (I Love YOU!)
May 1st- I got in and later that evening I went to see an Off-Broadway Musical called “Avenue Q” it was amazing! A Parody Puppet show telling us that life isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be hehe but we should make it work for ourselves! Awesome I had tons of fun!
May 2nd- Went to a Broadway Show called “Priscilla Queen of the Desert” for those of you old enough to know the movie which is quite old, it’s a show about 3 drag queens in Australia taking their show from Sydney to Alice, Australia so that “Tick” can finally meet his son. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT! It was simply amazing! The costumes, the music, the insane-ness of it all! It was a diva show and I just absolutely adored it! I would definitely recommend you all to check it out! If you don’t feel like jumping out of your seat to sing along with them then you don’t have a musical heart in you!
May 3rd- *aka yesterday!* I went to see a live-taping of *wait for it* “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” and OMFG it was amazing! The guests of the night were Whoopi Goldberg, Jennifer Hudson, and ELMO! I had an insane time! I will definitely tell you more later on in an individual post but I just had to put this out there! It was simply amazing and I love ELMO! He gave us all free DVDs to take home with us! I am going to cherish it for life! The Roots (the band) were there as well and I just simply love them! *sigh* I want to see more Jimmy!
That’s my amazing life so far in New York it’s simply insane and I love it! I wish I could spend more time here but by then I’ll be insanely flat broke and that can’t happen!
Now onto the next topic, I’ve acquired lots of cool gadgets on this trip but some of the things I’d like to mention are:
- A brand new sparkling MacBook Pro 17″ with a 2.2Ghz Quadcore i7 Processor, 8GB of RAM, 750GB HDD, and an Anti-Glare Hi-Resolution screen which is absolutely awesome!
- A brand new Black iPad 2 3G & Wifi 64GB (which took me a week to track down! Now they are available at the Apple Store in Fifth Avenue)
- A Blackberry Playbook 16GB Wifi Only Model
And those are only some of the cool things I’ve got well I guess these were my biggest purchases! I am just insanely in love with the US and wish I could move and live here but then again I would be broke all the time! I would live in the Apple Store, trust me I would! I love you sisters and parents! Thanks for this awesome time! I have a few more days left until then I will come back with some awesome posts but at the moment I just want to enjoy my insane time!
So I’m desperate for a new gadget and with it being Mother’s Day (Happy Mother’s Day to all you women and some men out there!) I had to get my hands on one, so I grabbed the 32GB Wifi only White Model as I was desperate and I will be going to the States in less than a month anyways so I will grab the one I want from there, this will be a secondary and can be given to Lujain if she behaves and get’s good grades or give it to Sister #3 who has stood in line since 6:45AM on Sunday morning waiting for the iPad 2 only to have it sold out!
So I will be giving you an Impressions post very soon but right now just enjoy this picture since I really went crazy on myself and took pictures using Instagram (my favorite iPhone 4 Application) as well as my older digital camera (I dunno where I put the other one).
P.S. I got it from Mobile2000 for 229KD which is the best deal out there today, and in comparison with the 180KD Apple US price (inclusive of Taxes) and around 10-20KD Aramex/Customs Charges It’s almost 29KD more than the US price. So in the end it was a good deal.
My order has been cancelled stating that I have exceeded the allowed limit per customer, bear in mind I only ordered 2 iPads. Therefore I will be asking one of my sisters to grab me one from one of the Apple Stores in her State. That way I can still get it without having to wait for the 2-3 weeks shipping estimate if I ordered it online.
And that’s all folks.
Jacqui is sad.
2 days ago Apple released iOS 4.3 and so for those of you who haven’t updated hurry up and update your iOS devices.
This update contains new features and improvements, including the following:
- Personal Hotspot*
Share iPhone 4 cellular data connection with up to 5 devices (combination of up to 3 Wi-Fi, 3 Bluetooth, and 1 USB)
- iTunes Home Sharing
Play music, movies and TV shows from a shared iTunes library on a Mac or PC (requires iTunes 10.2)
- New AirPlay features**
Play videos from the Photos app including the Camera Roll album, iTunes previews, enabled third-party apps and websites on Apple TV
Play slideshows from Photos on Apple TV using transitions available on Apple TV
- HD video out using the Apple Digital AV Adapter***
View 720p HD videos from Videos app, iPod app, Photos, YouTube, Safari, Keynote, and enabled third-party apps on an HDMI display
- Ping features
Push notifications for comments and follow requests
Post and Like songs directly from the Now Playing screen
- New Settings
Messages setting for number of times to repeat an alert
iPad side switch setting to lock screen rotation or mute audio notifications and sound effects
Single tap conference call dialing with a pause to send a passcode
- Bug fixes
**Requires Apple TV (2nd generation) running software version 4.2 or later
***iPhone 4, iPad, iPod touch (4th generation)
For information on the security content of this update, please visit:
This update is available via iTunes.