While the Newspapers and other companies mourn for this amazing man I too am in mourning for him, whether I dedicate my mourning by wearing an Apple Shirt or by having one of the most amazing friends (L4a I LOVE YOU!)a person can have drop by their local Apple Store and write a post-it for me and stick it up on the window. I mourn in different ways!
So does my cousin Lulwa (this photo was taken before the news of Steve Jobs death made rounds on the internet).
But that is not all, I was able to see how different people all around the world mourned the passing of this amazing guy and I wished to share it with you guys.
After a long day of many Apple users refreshing their pages awaiting the news that iOS5 is out it is now out for the public. Released at 8PM KWT time you can now head over to your iTunes application and download the update!
I’ve personally had it since June therefore I had the gold master last week and I’m enjoying it! Notifications man is the way to go! So good luck everyone and I hope you get good speeds while downloading hehe :P Next is waiting for the delivery of my iPhone 4S device!
P.S. Be sure to back up your devices before updating and after you’re done enjoy rocking your world!
I am sorry but because Steve Jobs is a huge part of my technological life I would like to honor his memory with numerous posts about him. And therefore if you find that I am obsessing over this, in reality I am not, I am just sad that we lost a visionary such as him. Some people might say that most “apple users mourn the passing of Steve Jobs as though he was their father.” And in a way it’s true.
Pixar was one of the companies Steve Jobs headed and with “Toy Story” he put the company on the map in direct competition with Disney. This week we see them and some of the characters mourn his passing. Most of these characters are either angry, in denial, or have begun to accept the reality of the situation. All in all it is very sad.
Pixar characters in Steve Job’s Black Highneck shirt
This past week has truly been one of the saddest ones I’ve experienced. I never thought that the news of the passing of Steve Jobs would effect me this much but it has. I cried the moment I heard the news and felt sad for the remaining days. Every moment I remember his passing and the fact that he was so young and we still haven’t gotten the most out of his brilliant mind I feel that pang of sadness again. But one of the most amazing things I’ve seen was the fact that the newspapers all around the world dedicated a whole frong page to this brilliant man. This man who gave the world the best inventions who shaped how we live today, they gave him a whole front page, whereas newspapers in Kuwait didn’t bother much (only a selected few did that). I am proud to say that I dedicated a whole page in one of our sections in the Al Watan Daily Newspaper (Friday Oct 7 Edition) for this great man. I am happy that I got to work with an awesome Page Designer all the way until 7:30pm to whip up the page. I will give you the version we wished to have run in the newspaper but weren’t able to for other reasons but this is our personal tribute. [Link to the Page that was Published]
Steve Jobs was the first to bring to us beautiful fonts in our computer systems, and since as he mentioned in his Stanford Commencement speech “Windows just copies Mac” now computers all around the world have that joy. Without these fonts, without these computers I doubt you can see a beautifully designed newspaper, magazine, flyer, hell anything! Because of this I am saddened by the passing of Steve. Because he changed the world in so many different ways yet there was still room for more.
Thank you Steve for bringing us these amazing devices, for bringing us computers, laptops, and destroying the need for those laptops with our beautiful iPads, for allowing us to have our music right there in our pockets. For revolutionizing everything we see today. You will forever live in our hearts and memories with every Apple device we pick up. I personally wish that you are now at peace from that deadly disease and hope that your family finds the strength to mourn your passing.
I am beyond sad at the moment. I really wished this was a mean prank but unfortunately it is true. It has been confirmed by Apple that Steve Jobs has passed away. A brilliant and genius man who has brought numerous devices into this world for us. He gave us the laptop, the iPod, the iPad, and revolutionized so many other products including our phones. He will be sorely missed.
Rest in Peace Steve! I wish I could’ve met you in your lifetime. My condolences to his family.
The main focus of the event was the iPhone, judging by the name of it “Let’s talk iPhone” however most of you out there will feel that this update lacked the hype that we were seeing the past few weeks in which everyone expected it to be the launch of the “iPhone 5” a redesigned iPhone. Let’s face it I thought the same as well but judging by the updates we’ve seen today it is still something good and not to be shunned away. I personally will be purchasing a brand new iPhone since I’ve been wanting a White one and the selling feature for me was the increased capacity (yes I eat capacity from my iPhone!)
Judging by the looks of it, the iPhone 4S has the same outside design as the current iPhone 4 but it’s the inside that has change, after all beauty is within a person (or in this case device). It has the same retina display available in today’s device and the same glass on the back but let’s try to see what’s new.
So what’s new with the iPhone 4S?
- It has an A5 Chip which is up to 2 times faster than before, with dual-core graphics which are said to be 7 times faster than previous iPhone (Yay SPEED!)
- Battery life has improved to 8 hrs for 3G Talk time, 14 hrs for 2G Talk time, 6 hrs for 3G browsing, 9 hrs for Wi-Fi browsing, 10 hrs for Video, and 40 hrs for music. “Fantastic battery life.” (Let’s hope it actually performs that way!)
- It has a completely redesigned antenna system for the iPhone 4S making the device the first phone to intelligently switch between antennas for sending and receiving. It also supports both GSM & CDMA technology, and supports HSDPA download speeds of up to 14.4 Mbps, twice that of the iPhone 4. (Wooohooo Faster downloads!)
- It includes an all new camera with the most advanced optics of any phone. The 8 megapixel sensor has 60% more pixels so you can take amazing high quality photos with more detail than ever. It includes a new custom lens, a larger f/2.4 aperture and an advanced hybrid IR filter that produces sharper, brighter and more accurate images. It has backside illumination that gives you 73% more light. It’s faster too – one third quicker! There is a new image signal processor that Apple designed, enabling face detection and 26 % better balance.
- The camera is now fully capable of recording 1080p HD resolution videos with video image stabilization and temporal noise reduction.
- Airplay Mirroring is now available on the iPhone 4S and so amazing to watch yourself playing the game on a big screen TV wirelessly!
- Comes with iOS5 built-in.
- It comes with Siri, an intelligent assistant that helps you get things done just by asking it nicely. It is launching as a beta with support for English, French, and German, additional languages will be added later. Siri basically lets you use your voice to send messages, schedule meetings, place phone calls, and more. Ask Siri to do things just by talking the way you talk. Siri understands what you say, knows what you mean, and even talks back. Siri is so easy to use and does so much, you’ll keep finding more and more ways to use it.
And that is basically most of the new features of the brand new iPhone 4S. You want to know how much it costs? Well the 16GB model is selling for $199, 32GB model is selling for $299, and the brand new [yes you heard it right] 64GB model is selilng for $399 (with a 2 year contract). The unlocked version prices should be available soon. It will be available for pre-order on October 7th with availability in retail stores and shipping date of October 14th in the United States, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the United Kingdom.
The iPhone 4S will debut in an additional 22 countries by the end of October (October 28th). Those countries include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. [For more info click here]
And with that my friends I give you the “most amazing iPhone ever,” as stated by our new dear friend Tim Cook.
I was somewhat disappointed with the event with the lack of an updated redesigned iPhone 5 but at the same time I expected the iPhone 4S since Apple recently redesigned it so it was just too soon. So I will be getting a brand new one, a white 64GB model to add to my collection courtesy of an early birthday present from father dearest!
P.S. The iPhone 4 is now available in 8GB model for 99$ and the iPhone 3GS 8GB model for Free.
At the event we were introduced to the brand new iPod nano which does not feature an updated form factor but instead it has interface changes to imrpove the navigation and they gave us 16 new clock faces to facilitate its use as a watch. Its fitness features have also improved with Nike+ compatibility out of the box with no requirement for additional accessories to track walks and runs. Let’s give it to you in bullet points shall we?
What’s new with the iPod nano?
- Larger icons for easier navigation
- 16 new clock faces including a range of designs from a Mickey Mouse watch to a classic digital and Roman numeral design
- Nike+ compatibility out of the box (no need for extra setup), capable of tracking distance traveled, pace, time and more out of the box
- Instead of a grid menu it is now a horizontal and you can swip to get through them.
The best thing about the iPod nano? It’s price is now reduced! The 8GB is available for $129 and the 16GB is available for $149. They are available from today in 7 colors for both capacities: silver, graphite, blue, green, orange, pink, and red. [Order now]
The next introduction was for the iPod touch one of the major updates was with the price reduction as well as the availability of the white model.
What’s new with the iPod touch?
- Ultra thin design
- Retina display
- HD video recording
- iOS 5 and iCloud
Similar to the iPod nano, the price reduction makes this an awesome deal with the prices of $199 for 8GB model, $299 for 32GB model, and $399 for 64GB model. All sizes come in both black & white and they will be available for order on October 12th same date as the release of the iOS5. [Order Later]