One of the main reasons I have started to blog more is the fact that I downloaded an application from the Mac App Store called “MarsEdit” it is a desktop blog editting tool for Mac and based on the website and my opinion:
The best way to write, preview, and publish your blog.
For the price of 39.95$ (which is not so cheap) you get an awesome blogging tool that makes you ditch the web-based WordPress Dashboard which at times becomes so slow due to the Web Browser you view it in. Sometimes you don’t want to be online in order to write your posts but you have to get online to actually access the back-end of your site to write them with this app, in other words you would be able to “think outside the browser.”
Personal Opinion: I’ve been using it for the past week or so and I absolutely love it. My main love about this application is the way you upload the photo into the post instead of waiting for it to upload via the web it just gets in there and all you need to do is publish it and then it gets uploaded along with the post. Now when blogging it is easier and faster and I get to not want to kill myself waiting for an image to upload and insert. If you are a Mac user then I highly recommend this app. True it’s a bit expensive but it sure is worth it. If you ever lost a post due to your browser freezing, or site going down now it’s so much easier to access it all with this offline application.
- Rich and HTML Text Editing: Whether you love HTML or can’t bear the sight of it, MarsEdit’s editor will thrill you. If you prefer the best of both worlds, you can switch easily between the two.
- Wildly Compatible: works well with WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr, Squarespace, TypePad, Movable Type and dozens more through standard MetaWeblog and AtomPub interfaces.
- Perfect Previews: Build a template to match your blog, then let MarsEdit’s live preview show you how your posts will look before you publish them. Use Markdown? MarsEdit will preview that, too.
- Your Editor or Ours: Combine the power of MarsEdit with your favorite editor. Integrates cleanly with BBEdit, SubEthaEdit, TextMate, TextWrangler, and any editor that supports that ODBEditor suite.
- Media at your Fingertips: Quickly scan your iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom, or Flickr libraries, and insert images into your blog post with the click of a button.
- Easy File Uploads: Upload images and files directly to your blog, or attach them to a post for automatic upload-on-publish. MarsEdit will even resize them to suit your needs.
- Re-Blog It!: Add our “Blog This” bookmarklet to your browser’s button bar. Now when you discover something cool, you can start a new MarsEdit post with the click of a button.
- Offline Freedom: Write when you want to, without an internet connection. Fine-tune your masterpiece on the boat, plane, or train, and publish when you get back online.
Read More about it and maybe even purchase it here. [Link]
There is not one person out there who doesn’t love a crazy insane deal, and for the gadget freaks out there the ultimate deal is one that’s electronic-y! Blink.com.kw is starting a new thing this week, it’s their “Crazy Deal of the Week.”
How does the “Crazy Deal of the Week” work?
Every week the Blink Sales Team selects a fast selling product and sells it at a significantly reduced price, so reduced that it’s always lower than its cost price.
Want an example of a “Crazy Deal?”
- Apple iPad 2 16GB regularly sells for 144 KWD. Crazy Deal of Week will be 99 KWD.
- Blackberry Bold 9900 regularly sells for 219 KWD. Crazy Deal of Week will be 159 KWD.
- Samsung 640GB USB External HDD regularly sells for 17 KWD. Crazy Deal of Week will be 9 KWD.
And there would be more craziness out there…
Are the quantities limited for every deal?
Of course they are or else we would they would be out of business very soon. It’s only quantity of 5 items per crazy deal that would be available.
Which day of the week will this deal be uploaded on and at what time?
It would be unfair to state a day or time for the deal to be uploaded so to make it fair for everyone to get a chance in getting a hold of a deal before its sold out, all that they can say is that it will be a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday. As for the timing it will be launched on different timings each week. Either at 10AM, 6PM, or 10PM.
What is the maximum quantity that can be bought per customer?
One item per customer.
Note: Blink staff, shops, resellers will not be eligible to buy items displayed in the “Crazy Deal of the Week”. Blink has the right to deny the delivery of any order that is found to be a reseller or shop. The reason we’re doing this is because the quantity is very limited and the whole idea of the “Crazy Deal of the Week” is for their customers to enjoy the benefit of those deals.
Today was the day Amazon held their conference in which they announced their enhanced Kindle family. They did not remove their previous Kindles (otherwise known as the Kindle 3rd Generation) but instead changed their name to “Kindle Keyboard”. But that wasn’t all that happened at the conference. You see the e-book reader market is growing with competitors such as Barnes & Nobles Nook and Sony’s e-Reader that Amazon thought to step up their Kindle and make it even more awesome.
At the conference, they announced the new Kindle (for lack of a better word the one without the keyboard). The most awesome thing was that it’s their cheapest Kindle being priced at $79 a price that beats all the lower priced e-Book readers out there. The key features of this baby is that it is 30% lighter (at less than 6 ounces), has an 18% smaller body while maintaining the 6″ screen size, has the most advanced e-Ink display, built-in wifi (can get books in 60 seconds), and for a model without any special offers or ads all you have to sell out is $109. It has buttons on it but no keyboard which will make it a bit difficult to type on but as a reader it’s awesome. [I has jealousy and feels like I want this one to add to my collection]. The best thing here is that this model is ready for you to order and have it shipped out today. [Order Here]
The next baby that was announced was the Kindle Touch which comes in a 3G model and a Wi-Fi version priced at $149 and $99 for each. The $99 version comes with ads and to get it without ads you’d have to pay $139 which is still a great price. The touch screen on this baby uses an infrared touch system which is similar to the latest Nook & Kobo and also has no physical keyboard. It’s slimmer, 11% smaller and 8% lighter than the existing 3rd generation Kindle with a muted silver chasis that looks nothing like today’s Kindles. It has the most advanced e-Ink display with multi-touch (better than the model above), and can hold up to 3,000 books. It has text-to-speech, plus audio books and mp3s; both models have built-in Wifi to get your books quickly. Unfortunately this model is available for US only and will be released on November 21st 2011, but if you’d like you can pre order it today. [Pre-Order Here]
Battery life for both models mentioned above can go up to 2 months and I know it can go longer because I remember I purchased my 3rd generation Kindle last December and charged it once and it lasted for 2 months without draining much.
Finally, the piece de resistance (as they say in France) was the announcement of the uber sexy Kindle Fire (burn baby burn!) [Seriously I'm on fire for this thing I wants it!] This is a 7-inch device running an iPS panel with Gorilla Glass coating, has a 1GHz TI OMAP dual-core CPU, 512 MB of RAM, 8GB of internal storage and a chasis that weighs 14.6 ounces. The real awesome thing is that the Kindle Fire is going for the price of $199 which is insanely awesome. With this device you can get access to up to 18 million movies, TV shows, songs, magazines, and books. You also get the Amazon Appstore with thousands of popular apps and games. You get ultra-fast web browsing using the new “Amazon Silk”. All your data can be stored internally or via your free cloud storage with all your Amazon content. And if you’re an Amazon Prime member you can enjoy unlimited, instant streaming of over 10,000 popular movies and TV Shows. This baby is a powerhorse I wouldn’t mind riding but as with the Kindle Touch this device will be available for the US only and will be released on November 15th 2011, but you can also pre-order it today. [Pre-Order Here]
Now that all the geeky stuff is out of the way, the inner insane geek-aholic in me wants to grab all 3 devices whereas the broke me wants to just grab the Kindle Fire. Even if I do not use it faithfully (I know I am neglecting my Kindle baby) I still wants it! I guess this goes on my Birthday Wish List this year! YAY!
Next week, the iPhone extravaganza!
On Thursday the 15th of September was the first time this year that I have succumbed to my “impulse” buy need. I had just finished work around 7-ish and was heading out to Electrozan since they had their version of the “Fire Sale” that was on the HP Touchpad in the US. They were selling the 16GB model for 79.900KD but more on that later, I had ordered mine a few weeks ago and well Dad wanted one so that was the main reason for me heading to Electrozan.
As I made it through the traffic and my insane “Navigon” GPS system on my #iPhone4 (P.S. I felt like I should strangle it because I kept losing the GPS Signal and it was driving me insane!) I walked into the Shuwaikh (aka Al Rai) branch and immediately ignored the televisions that were surrounding me and headed towards the “Tablet” area, or so you would think. I felt a supernatural pull towards the Camera section which is one I rarely feel. I am not a professional photographer, I dabble in it. My camera of choice is usually a point-and-shoot from Sony and lately it’s been the WX9 which is awesome to say the least. They had a good discount system set on a couple of their professional cameras but I didn’t feel like I needed one of those big Nikon ones that would just make me lose it from how complicated they look.
I was about to grab the Sony NEX3D (I think) camera but instead something made me reach over for the Canon SX30IS. I had read that a few of my blogger friends use it and that it’s got some excellent reviews and for some reason that stuck in my head. As the sales guy was showing it to me I felt like, “Hmm maybe I should treat myself to an early gift!” Although I was semi-broke I decided I would grab that camera and leave with it! (as well as the Touchpad) and thus ended my first impulsive buy!
When I got home I started to play around with it a bit and started to like it, although I kept having trouble producing good photos as I have the world’s worst shakey hands when it comes to trying to take a picture. For some reason my hands feel high pressure and start to shake just before I take the picture. But all in all I am liking it and most of all Lujain is loving it! She yelled at me for not buying her one, I told her we will share this one between both of us!
P.S. I know that on Amazon the camera is available for 350$ (equivalent to 96KD without shipping), I purchased it for 145KD from Electrozan, in my mind that’s not a bad deal since it would come out to be the same price with all the customs/shipping taxes that they will surely apply here in Kuwait plus I can have it immediately.
I know I promised some of my friends not to talk about Mada simply because we want to keep it on the down low so we can enjoy our high speeds and not share it with the rest of the world but I felt a need to tell you guys what is the one thing that is keeping me sane these past few months!
Thank you for providing me with decent internet speed, the type where I can actually do stuff while downloading and such. The type of speed that doesn’t want to make me pull my hair because the page takes so bloody long to load. The type that doesn’t give me a mouth worse than that of a sailor’s!
With Mada, I’ve had a rough start in the beginning with some slow speeds but recently I have had it pick up the pace and give me amazing 200-500kbps download speeds, I run speedtest’s and I get up to 11Mbps which is a number I’ve seen only when I travel. All I wanna tell them is keep up the good work and don’t bring back any data cap because at the moment you are the one thing that puts a smile on my face!
P.S. This service is not for everyone as it depends on the area you live at. The coverage may give you insane downloading speeds and some areas may be as slow as a turtle! So be warned!
So you all know how I have been ranting about the #Q8cap placed on the Internet in Kuwait here and here and my endless rants on twitter! Well a bunch of us bloggers [link] have ganged up (not the bad gang type, the good kind I promise) and decided to launch a campaign to try and force the hands of the ISPs to give us back decent internet!
قررنا انا و الاخوه والأخوات المدونين الكويتيين القيام بحملة ضد الانترنت المحدود , وبما انه زمن الثورات قررنا القيام بثورة انترنتية ضد الانترنت المحدود تحت حجة “الاستخدام العادل ” فنحن المدونين نرفض رفضا تاما القيام بمثل هذه الممارسات اللتي تسلب من المشترك او المستخدم حرية استخدام للانترنت بالشكل المتعارف عليه في كل دول العالم , نحن ندفع في الكويت اسعار خيالية من اجل توفير خدمة انترنت ذات استخدام عادل بكل ماتحمله الكلمة من معنى , فالأستخدام العادل معناه ان يكون الانترنت غير محدود وغيرد مقيد بحجم ما , ولايجب ان افوت الفرصه للحديث عن ارتفاع اسعار الانترنت في دولة الكويت , فالاسعار هنا فعلا خيالية ومبالغ فيها , والمقابل خدمة محدوده جدا وغير عادلة للاسف نحن في زمن الانترنت وفي عام ٢٠١١ لايكاد يوجد شخص في الكويت الا ويستخدم الانترنت , وقد دخل الانترنت في جميع الاشياء سواء الهواتف النقالة والكمبيوترات وحتى الاتصالات اليومية والمراسلات بين الاشخاص , فمن هنا نعلن نحن المدونين الكويتيين عن رفضنا القطعي والتام لما يسمى بالانترنت المحدود
Come on idiots! The Fall season is almost back and if you come between me and my sacred TV Shows I will cut yo throat homie! No seriously I haz anger management issuez ’bout my netz! So please support in this campaign and spread the word!
June 6th! One of my favorite days of the year, it’s not really important but I just like the number 6 it’s cool! This is the day Apple chose to hold their World Wide Developers Convention and what a day it was!
3 Things were on the table this time around with “1 More Thing” and they were: OS X Lion, iOS5, and iCloud. Before I get into them let me just start off by saying that I am even more in love right now with my Apple babies than I was before simply because OS X Lion and iOS 5 will change the future for everything they’re that awesome! So here goes:
OS X Lion:
OS X Lion got it’s debut late last year during their October 20th Event, however today Apple decided to show off 10 of it’s 250 new features revisiting some of their favorites that were shown off in the beginning and adding some new ones. Some of the new features include: Windows Migration Assistant, a newer version of FileVault, Face-Time will be built-in and so much more.
The most important features that were discussed include:
1) Multi-touch gestures: that are similar to iOS such as Swipe, pinch, etc.
2) Full Screen Applications: a feature that was taken from iOS where launching an app on the iPad expands to the full screen now you can do the same thing with your Mac. Multi touch features get you to navigate from one place to another.
3) Mission Control: One of the best features and the naughtiest sounding ones in Lion is the combination of Spaces, Expose and an App Switcher it makes switching between apps so much more sexier!
4) Enhanced Photo Booth: This makes the app able to follow your face and make “targeted facial enhancements”, such as making just your eyes bigger, etc.
5) Mac App Store: Nothing more will be mentioned here as we all know and use it!
6) Launchpad: Imagine having your iPad as your Laptop/Desktop and launching your application that same way, well it’s been done and now finding and organizing your apps will be so much easier and so much more cooler!
7) Resume: Just like in iOS where you launch an app and you resume from where you left off, the same thing happens in Lion. Now when you reboot, all of your windows and apps return to how they were and Lion auto-saves everything making it easier to find the different versions of the files you’ve got.
8) Air Drop: This sexy feature enables you to share documents/photos/etc by running AirDrop and displaying the nearby machines that it can see, sending files will be a just drag and drop situation. The recipient will receive a message and they confirm that they want the file then it downloads. Sharing just became more sexier!
9) Mail: Redesigned and looking so much more delicious! It’s smarter and looks similar to Gmail but on steroids!
Lion will be priced at 29.99$ and will only be available on the Mac App Store as a 4GB download, allowing users to pay once and install it on all of their machines just like the Mac App Store apps. A specific date was not announced however it was mentioned that it will be launched during the month of July and customers who purchase a Mac between today and Lion launch day in July will get the upgrade free from the App Store.
The second major thing discussed in the event was the much awaited and anticipated update the iOS 5 for its iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. The new major features make any of your iOS devices feel like something else, something entirely new! iOS 5 comes with 200 new features and in the Keynote 10 major features were debuted in which we saw a completely revamped notifications system (thank god!), over-the-air software updates and activation for new devices, and iTunes library syncing over Wi-Fi.
The top 10 features are:
1) Notifications: This is a major update since the previous notification system was elementary to begin with. Apple recently hired the developer Peter Hajas who released the “Mobile Notifier” app via Cydia to revamp their notification system what you saw with Mobile Notifier is done now through iOS5 (and that my friends is the reason I never jailbreak I have faith that the features will come if I wait! :P) Anyways The Notification Center will aggregate all notifications, accessed by swiping down from the status bar at the top of the screen. Notifications now can be displayed on the lock screen along with weather and stock alerts. Tapping a notification will automatically open the related app. This brings the iPhone into the newest century and most of its pet peeves will be gone!
2) Newstand: a new app that is similar to iBooks but brings you an actual Newstand to your iPhone, now you can subscribe to your favorite newspapers and magazines and new issues will be automatically downloaded in the background when they are released (I don’t know what this will do to my Zinio subscriptions just hope that the prices are highly competitve!)
3) Twitter: Twitter is now integrated into iOS in most of its apps including Camera, Photos, Maps, and Safari. Contacts can be updated automatically with their twitter handles this makes it so much more easier to tweet a picture, link, or whatever comes to mind! And it looks as sexy as hell!
5) Reminders: a new app that is added to offer task tracking or list creations with geolocation capabilities, think making a to-do list with alerts coming when you arrive or leave a certain location! Very smart indeed!
6) Camera: No matter how many additional Camera apps we download we still go back to the main one to do most of our picture taking, and it’s great, the revamp now shows a shortcut available from the lock screen for quicker access to the Camera app not to mention the ability to use the volume up button as a trigger to take a picture. Photo editing features have been added to the iPhoto app editing things like cropping, rotating, plus red-eye reduction.
7) Mail: Some significant changes that will be seen in this app include rich text formatting, message flagging, draggable addresses, along with so many other features.
[New Keyboard] Keyboard enhancements have been made so that you are able to actually type with both hands by splitting the keyboard and making everything more thumb-friendly on the iPad.
8) PC Free: Now this is where the money is! iOS 5 will make you get rid of your PC, you no longer need it to activate your new iOS device, nor do you need it for any of the iOS updates, everything will be done over the air. iTunes library will also do it’s syncing wirelessly with your iTunes account over Wi-Fi. This makes it so much easier to use the device straight out of the box without connecting it to your computer [sort of like what I did with my *ugh* Blackberry Play *shudders*] If you are wondering how you can do an iOS update over the air well these updates will now be delta updates in which you get what’s changed without the need to download the whole iOS all over again! Say good-bye to 500MB+ iOS update files!
9) GameCenter: It’s getting more social in which you are going to be seeing the scores of your friends’ friends, also getting friend recommendations, game recommendations basically Twitter for your Games! You will be able to purchase and download games directly from the Game Center.
10) iMessage: Say good-bye to the Blackberry Messenger because Apple just pwned their asses! They’ve always had awesome messaging clients and now they have spread it onto their iOS devices. iMessage is a New messaging service between all iOS users! It lets you send text messages, photos, videos, contacts, and even do group messaging all over your iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch! And since it’s available through cross-device you can start a conversation on your iPhone and continue it on your iPad or vice versa. It works over Wifi and 3G so should be awesome!
*Airplay Mirroring will also be available in which you no longer need the Apple Digital HD adapter to mirror your device on your HD TV, all you need is an AppleTV or an AirPlay device!
You will be getting all these beautiful features and more this fall with the release of iOS 5, however developers will be able to have access to the update today! It will support only the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2, and iPod Touch 3rd and 4th generations.
Also coming this fall via iOS5 and Lion will be the new feature iCloud. Apple has decided to give us a digital hub available in the clouds, all devices can talk to the cloud whenever they want and sync all their data. With this iCloud gives users 5GB of free storage for Mail, documents and backups, purchased music, apps, and books don’t count in that 5GB. Basically what happened here is that Apple is eliminating the need to physically sync all your devices to your computer which used to be the hub, since keeping the devices synced is crazy! [I hear yah!] So in a way iCloud completely replaced MobileMe Mail, Contacts, and Calenar since they are all free and they will all be updated across your devices just like what they currently do. But that’s not all, you see users now can see their purchase history on all devices via the App Store, iBooks and your progress in them will also be synced across all devices. Not to mention that you can now edit a document in iWork on a Mac and it gets pushed instantly to the cloud and you will be able to tweak it in Pages on an iPad and so much more! Apple has been working for 10 years to get rid of the file-storage system and now with iCloud they can do that!
One More Thing: iTunes Match
In addition to all the above, Apple decided to roll out iTunes in the Cloud. The service is free for songs purchased through the iTunes Store, while there is an “iTunes Match” service priced at 24.99$ a year that extends the program to your ripped music. iCloud will eliminate the hassle and pain of syncing your music purchased through iTunes by pushing it into the Cloud. Using the new Automatic Downloads feature content purchased via iTunes is pushed to mobile devices and vice cersa. Users will consequently have all their songs, automatically, wherever they are, on up to ten devices. Now that’s cool!