At the event we were introduced to the brand new iPod nano which does not feature an updated form factor but instead it has interface changes to imrpove the navigation and they gave us 16 new clock faces to facilitate its use as a watch. Its fitness features have also improved with Nike+ compatibility out of the box with no requirement for additional accessories to track walks and runs. Let’s give it to you in bullet points shall we?
What’s new with the iPod nano?
- Larger icons for easier navigation
- 16 new clock faces including a range of designs from a Mickey Mouse watch to a classic digital and Roman numeral design
- Nike+ compatibility out of the box (no need for extra setup), capable of tracking distance traveled, pace, time and more out of the box
- Instead of a grid menu it is now a horizontal and you can swip to get through them.
The best thing about the iPod nano? It’s price is now reduced! The 8GB is available for $129 and the 16GB is available for $149. They are available from today in 7 colors for both capacities: silver, graphite, blue, green, orange, pink, and red. [Order now]
The next introduction was for the iPod touch one of the major updates was with the price reduction as well as the availability of the white model.
What’s new with the iPod touch?
- Ultra thin design
- Retina display
- HD video recording
- iOS 5 and iCloud
Similar to the iPod nano, the price reduction makes this an awesome deal with the prices of $199 for 8GB model, $299 for 32GB model, and $399 for 64GB model. All sizes come in both black & white and they will be available for order on October 12th same date as the release of the iOS5. [Order Later]
On this day we witnessed the updates that Apple has deigned to grace us with. The event marked the first event in which Tim Cook introduces new products and is the first event in which we did not see our beloved Steve Jobs. For this event I will be posting each update separately in different posts so as to not over crowd your eyes with talk here and there. So let’s give you a summary:
- Tim Cook took the stage and gave us the updates in regards to the retail store launch, there are now 357 total stores in 11 countries. He gave a walk through each of Apple’s four product areas: The Mac and Lion: 6 million copies of Lion sold so far up 80% of Snow Leopard and 23% year-over-year growth for Mac, 58 million users; Music: market share has been above 70% for a very long time and the iPod has 78% share right now with over 300 million iPods sold, and the iTunes Store has 20 million tracks with over 16 billion downloads; iPhone: 125% year-over-year growth, the iPhone 4 is responsible for over half of their total iPhone Sales ever #1 smartphone in the world; and finally iPad: has 75% market share in the US with high customer satisfaction rating and iPads showing up everywhere it is the #1 tablet in the world.
- Scott Forstall came on stage to talk about iOS5 highlighting the top ten features which were mentioned earlier this year. Before that we were given an overview of iOS being the #1 mobile operating system with 43% market share, Apple has paid out $3 billion to developers and sold 18 billion App Store downloads. Top ten features: Notification Center, iMessage, Reminders app, Twitter Integration, Newstand, Camera app, Game Center, Safari, Mail, PC-Free Setup. iOS5 will be available as a free download on October 12th.
- Cards, a new app released by apple that allows you to create your own greeting card on your phone and Apple will print your photo/design and mail it to them for 2.99$ mailed within the US and 4.99$ worldwide. The app is a free download available on October 12th.
- Eddy Cue came on stage to discuss iCloud highlighting its features: it is integrated right into apps, everything happens automatically, photo stream documents in the cloud, and the coolest thing is that daily backups of contacts and calendars across your devices are up in the cloud. Find my Friends is a new app in which you can share your location with a bunch of friends and stalk them. iTunes Match is the ability to scan and match your entire library to the iTunes Catalog, create and edit playlists, updated across devices for only 24.99$ per year. iCloud launches October 12th, iTunes Match at end of October in the US.
- Phil Schiller came on stage to talk about the iPods and introduces the new iPod Nano and iPod Touch. (Goodbye iPod Classic, you are as good as dead) [Link]
- iPhone 4S is introduced [Link]
- Scott Forstall on stage for a Siri demo.
- Phil Schiller back on stage to continue with the Siri demo.
- Tim Cook back on stage to wrap up.
And with that marks the end of the event.
We are almost 2 hours away from the Apple “Let’s talk iPhone” event and I am getting excited hell I am sitting here anticipating a brand new baby to come out! My new child! Yaay! A new addition to my family it’s been a while since I last purchased an Apple product, last time was hmmm I believe April with my MacBook Pro!
Can’t wait! I’m counting the minutes! Be sure to come back later to see the post summarizing the event!
P.S. I am actually moments away from copying his pose!
One of the main reasons I have started to blog more is the fact that I downloaded an application from the Mac App Store called “MarsEdit” it is a desktop blog editting tool for Mac and based on the website and my opinion:
The best way to write, preview, and publish your blog.
For the price of 39.95$ (which is not so cheap) you get an awesome blogging tool that makes you ditch the web-based WordPress Dashboard which at times becomes so slow due to the Web Browser you view it in. Sometimes you don’t want to be online in order to write your posts but you have to get online to actually access the back-end of your site to write them with this app, in other words you would be able to “think outside the browser.”
Personal Opinion: I’ve been using it for the past week or so and I absolutely love it. My main love about this application is the way you upload the photo into the post instead of waiting for it to upload via the web it just gets in there and all you need to do is publish it and then it gets uploaded along with the post. Now when blogging it is easier and faster and I get to not want to kill myself waiting for an image to upload and insert. If you are a Mac user then I highly recommend this app. True it’s a bit expensive but it sure is worth it. If you ever lost a post due to your browser freezing, or site going down now it’s so much easier to access it all with this offline application.
- Rich and HTML Text Editing: Whether you love HTML or can’t bear the sight of it, MarsEdit’s editor will thrill you. If you prefer the best of both worlds, you can switch easily between the two.
- Wildly Compatible: works well with WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr, Squarespace, TypePad, Movable Type and dozens more through standard MetaWeblog and AtomPub interfaces.
- Perfect Previews: Build a template to match your blog, then let MarsEdit’s live preview show you how your posts will look before you publish them. Use Markdown? MarsEdit will preview that, too.
- Your Editor or Ours: Combine the power of MarsEdit with your favorite editor. Integrates cleanly with BBEdit, SubEthaEdit, TextMate, TextWrangler, and any editor that supports that ODBEditor suite.
- Media at your Fingertips: Quickly scan your iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom, or Flickr libraries, and insert images into your blog post with the click of a button.
- Easy File Uploads: Upload images and files directly to your blog, or attach them to a post for automatic upload-on-publish. MarsEdit will even resize them to suit your needs.
- Re-Blog It!: Add our “Blog This” bookmarklet to your browser’s button bar. Now when you discover something cool, you can start a new MarsEdit post with the click of a button.
- Offline Freedom: Write when you want to, without an internet connection. Fine-tune your masterpiece on the boat, plane, or train, and publish when you get back online.
Read More about it and maybe even purchase it here. [Link]
There is not one person out there who doesn’t love a crazy insane deal, and for the gadget freaks out there the ultimate deal is one that’s electronic-y! Blink.com.kw is starting a new thing this week, it’s their “Crazy Deal of the Week.”
How does the “Crazy Deal of the Week” work?
Every week the Blink Sales Team selects a fast selling product and sells it at a significantly reduced price, so reduced that it’s always lower than its cost price.
Want an example of a “Crazy Deal?”
- Apple iPad 2 16GB regularly sells for 144 KWD. Crazy Deal of Week will be 99 KWD.
- Blackberry Bold 9900 regularly sells for 219 KWD. Crazy Deal of Week will be 159 KWD.
- Samsung 640GB USB External HDD regularly sells for 17 KWD. Crazy Deal of Week will be 9 KWD.
And there would be more craziness out there…
Are the quantities limited for every deal?
Of course they are or else we would they would be out of business very soon. It’s only quantity of 5 items per crazy deal that would be available.
Which day of the week will this deal be uploaded on and at what time?
It would be unfair to state a day or time for the deal to be uploaded so to make it fair for everyone to get a chance in getting a hold of a deal before its sold out, all that they can say is that it will be a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday. As for the timing it will be launched on different timings each week. Either at 10AM, 6PM, or 10PM.
What is the maximum quantity that can be bought per customer?
One item per customer.
Note: Blink staff, shops, resellers will not be eligible to buy items displayed in the “Crazy Deal of the Week”. Blink has the right to deny the delivery of any order that is found to be a reseller or shop. The reason we’re doing this is because the quantity is very limited and the whole idea of the “Crazy Deal of the Week” is for their customers to enjoy the benefit of those deals.
Today was the day Amazon held their conference in which they announced their enhanced Kindle family. They did not remove their previous Kindles (otherwise known as the Kindle 3rd Generation) but instead changed their name to “Kindle Keyboard”. But that wasn’t all that happened at the conference. You see the e-book reader market is growing with competitors such as Barnes & Nobles Nook and Sony’s e-Reader that Amazon thought to step up their Kindle and make it even more awesome.
At the conference, they announced the new Kindle (for lack of a better word the one without the keyboard). The most awesome thing was that it’s their cheapest Kindle being priced at $79 a price that beats all the lower priced e-Book readers out there. The key features of this baby is that it is 30% lighter (at less than 6 ounces), has an 18% smaller body while maintaining the 6″ screen size, has the most advanced e-Ink display, built-in wifi (can get books in 60 seconds), and for a model without any special offers or ads all you have to sell out is $109. It has buttons on it but no keyboard which will make it a bit difficult to type on but as a reader it’s awesome. [I has jealousy and feels like I want this one to add to my collection]. The best thing here is that this model is ready for you to order and have it shipped out today. [Order Here]
The next baby that was announced was the Kindle Touch which comes in a 3G model and a Wi-Fi version priced at $149 and $99 for each. The $99 version comes with ads and to get it without ads you’d have to pay $139 which is still a great price. The touch screen on this baby uses an infrared touch system which is similar to the latest Nook & Kobo and also has no physical keyboard. It’s slimmer, 11% smaller and 8% lighter than the existing 3rd generation Kindle with a muted silver chasis that looks nothing like today’s Kindles. It has the most advanced e-Ink display with multi-touch (better than the model above), and can hold up to 3,000 books. It has text-to-speech, plus audio books and mp3s; both models have built-in Wifi to get your books quickly. Unfortunately this model is available for US only and will be released on November 21st 2011, but if you’d like you can pre order it today. [Pre-Order Here]
Battery life for both models mentioned above can go up to 2 months and I know it can go longer because I remember I purchased my 3rd generation Kindle last December and charged it once and it lasted for 2 months without draining much.
Finally, the piece de resistance (as they say in France) was the announcement of the uber sexy Kindle Fire (burn baby burn!) [Seriously I'm on fire for this thing I wants it!] This is a 7-inch device running an iPS panel with Gorilla Glass coating, has a 1GHz TI OMAP dual-core CPU, 512 MB of RAM, 8GB of internal storage and a chasis that weighs 14.6 ounces. The real awesome thing is that the Kindle Fire is going for the price of $199 which is insanely awesome. With this device you can get access to up to 18 million movies, TV shows, songs, magazines, and books. You also get the Amazon Appstore with thousands of popular apps and games. You get ultra-fast web browsing using the new “Amazon Silk”. All your data can be stored internally or via your free cloud storage with all your Amazon content. And if you’re an Amazon Prime member you can enjoy unlimited, instant streaming of over 10,000 popular movies and TV Shows. This baby is a powerhorse I wouldn’t mind riding but as with the Kindle Touch this device will be available for the US only and will be released on November 15th 2011, but you can also pre-order it today. [Pre-Order Here]
Now that all the geeky stuff is out of the way, the inner insane geek-aholic in me wants to grab all 3 devices whereas the broke me wants to just grab the Kindle Fire. Even if I do not use it faithfully (I know I am neglecting my Kindle baby) I still wants it! I guess this goes on my Birthday Wish List this year! YAY!
Next week, the iPhone extravaganza!
On Thursday the 15th of September was the first time this year that I have succumbed to my “impulse” buy need. I had just finished work around 7-ish and was heading out to Electrozan since they had their version of the “Fire Sale” that was on the HP Touchpad in the US. They were selling the 16GB model for 79.900KD but more on that later, I had ordered mine a few weeks ago and well Dad wanted one so that was the main reason for me heading to Electrozan.
As I made it through the traffic and my insane “Navigon” GPS system on my #iPhone4 (P.S. I felt like I should strangle it because I kept losing the GPS Signal and it was driving me insane!) I walked into the Shuwaikh (aka Al Rai) branch and immediately ignored the televisions that were surrounding me and headed towards the “Tablet” area, or so you would think. I felt a supernatural pull towards the Camera section which is one I rarely feel. I am not a professional photographer, I dabble in it. My camera of choice is usually a point-and-shoot from Sony and lately it’s been the WX9 which is awesome to say the least. They had a good discount system set on a couple of their professional cameras but I didn’t feel like I needed one of those big Nikon ones that would just make me lose it from how complicated they look.
I was about to grab the Sony NEX3D (I think) camera but instead something made me reach over for the Canon SX30IS. I had read that a few of my blogger friends use it and that it’s got some excellent reviews and for some reason that stuck in my head. As the sales guy was showing it to me I felt like, “Hmm maybe I should treat myself to an early gift!” Although I was semi-broke I decided I would grab that camera and leave with it! (as well as the Touchpad) and thus ended my first impulsive buy!
When I got home I started to play around with it a bit and started to like it, although I kept having trouble producing good photos as I have the world’s worst shakey hands when it comes to trying to take a picture. For some reason my hands feel high pressure and start to shake just before I take the picture. But all in all I am liking it and most of all Lujain is loving it! She yelled at me for not buying her one, I told her we will share this one between both of us!
P.S. I know that on Amazon the camera is available for 350$ (equivalent to 96KD without shipping), I purchased it for 145KD from Electrozan, in my mind that’s not a bad deal since it would come out to be the same price with all the customs/shipping taxes that they will surely apply here in Kuwait plus I can have it immediately.