On October 7th I woke up really early even though I had only 2-4 hours of sleep I made sure to wake up to pre-order my iPhone 4S and make sure I was one of the first few to get it on launch day! Unfortunately the US Apple Store did not have the unlocked version available for sale until November so I headed over to the UK Apple Store and was able to place an order at around 10AM it was crazy didn’t get my confirmation letter until late that evening but well worth the wait.
Last Friday October 14th it was delivered to my Aramex UK mailbox and I anxiously waited for it to arrive to Kuwait, but unfortunately due to some trouble with people who didn’t log in the shipment my baby was not shipped until Monday (thanks to the Shop and Ship team on twitter @Shopandship) it was rushed over here and I got it today! WEDNESDAY that was the fastest shipment ever!
I am so happy and enjoying the unboxing experience as well as Siri, will review it shortly just thought I would make you all iJealous as I was these past few days.
I got the 64GB White model whereas father ordered the 32GB White model as well. Oh yeah and Thanks Daddy! This was my early birthday gift! [He’s still going to the US on my birthday will have him bring me something else from there, after all I am daddy’s little girl :P]
So yeah there you have it! I got it for 305KD from the UK Apple Store + 7.800KD Shipping for both iPhones which still makes it cheaper than those thieves at XCite Electronics!
P.S. I am still getting the iPhone 5 next year or probably it will be called iPhone 6 because it is the 6th generation! It was the last project Papa Steve Jobs was working on closely before he passed away :(
The main focus of the event was the iPhone, judging by the name of it “Let’s talk iPhone” however most of you out there will feel that this update lacked the hype that we were seeing the past few weeks in which everyone expected it to be the launch of the “iPhone 5” a redesigned iPhone. Let’s face it I thought the same as well but judging by the updates we’ve seen today it is still something good and not to be shunned away. I personally will be purchasing a brand new iPhone since I’ve been wanting a White one and the selling feature for me was the increased capacity (yes I eat capacity from my iPhone!)
Judging by the looks of it, the iPhone 4S has the same outside design as the current iPhone 4 but it’s the inside that has change, after all beauty is within a person (or in this case device). It has the same retina display available in today’s device and the same glass on the back but let’s try to see what’s new.
So what’s new with the iPhone 4S?
- It has an A5 Chip which is up to 2 times faster than before, with dual-core graphics which are said to be 7 times faster than previous iPhone (Yay SPEED!)
- Battery life has improved to 8 hrs for 3G Talk time, 14 hrs for 2G Talk time, 6 hrs for 3G browsing, 9 hrs for Wi-Fi browsing, 10 hrs for Video, and 40 hrs for music. “Fantastic battery life.” (Let’s hope it actually performs that way!)
- It has a completely redesigned antenna system for the iPhone 4S making the device the first phone to intelligently switch between antennas for sending and receiving. It also supports both GSM & CDMA technology, and supports HSDPA download speeds of up to 14.4 Mbps, twice that of the iPhone 4. (Wooohooo Faster downloads!)
- It includes an all new camera with the most advanced optics of any phone. The 8 megapixel sensor has 60% more pixels so you can take amazing high quality photos with more detail than ever. It includes a new custom lens, a larger f/2.4 aperture and an advanced hybrid IR filter that produces sharper, brighter and more accurate images. It has backside illumination that gives you 73% more light. It’s faster too – one third quicker! There is a new image signal processor that Apple designed, enabling face detection and 26 % better balance.
- The camera is now fully capable of recording 1080p HD resolution videos with video image stabilization and temporal noise reduction.
- Airplay Mirroring is now available on the iPhone 4S and so amazing to watch yourself playing the game on a big screen TV wirelessly!
- Comes with iOS5 built-in.
- It comes with Siri, an intelligent assistant that helps you get things done just by asking it nicely. It is launching as a beta with support for English, French, and German, additional languages will be added later. Siri basically lets you use your voice to send messages, schedule meetings, place phone calls, and more. Ask Siri to do things just by talking the way you talk. Siri understands what you say, knows what you mean, and even talks back. Siri is so easy to use and does so much, you’ll keep finding more and more ways to use it.
And that is basically most of the new features of the brand new iPhone 4S. You want to know how much it costs? Well the 16GB model is selling for $199, 32GB model is selling for $299, and the brand new [yes you heard it right] 64GB model is selilng for $399 (with a 2 year contract). The unlocked version prices should be available soon. It will be available for pre-order on October 7th with availability in retail stores and shipping date of October 14th in the United States, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the United Kingdom.
The iPhone 4S will debut in an additional 22 countries by the end of October (October 28th). Those countries include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. [For more info click here]
And with that my friends I give you the “most amazing iPhone ever,” as stated by our new dear friend Tim Cook.
I was somewhat disappointed with the event with the lack of an updated redesigned iPhone 5 but at the same time I expected the iPhone 4S since Apple recently redesigned it so it was just too soon. So I will be getting a brand new one, a white 64GB model to add to my collection courtesy of an early birthday present from father dearest!
P.S. The iPhone 4 is now available in 8GB model for 99$ and the iPhone 3GS 8GB model for Free.
At the event we were introduced to the brand new iPod nano which does not feature an updated form factor but instead it has interface changes to imrpove the navigation and they gave us 16 new clock faces to facilitate its use as a watch. Its fitness features have also improved with Nike+ compatibility out of the box with no requirement for additional accessories to track walks and runs. Let’s give it to you in bullet points shall we?
What’s new with the iPod nano?
- Larger icons for easier navigation
- 16 new clock faces including a range of designs from a Mickey Mouse watch to a classic digital and Roman numeral design
- Nike+ compatibility out of the box (no need for extra setup), capable of tracking distance traveled, pace, time and more out of the box
- Instead of a grid menu it is now a horizontal and you can swip to get through them.
The best thing about the iPod nano? It’s price is now reduced! The 8GB is available for $129 and the 16GB is available for $149. They are available from today in 7 colors for both capacities: silver, graphite, blue, green, orange, pink, and red. [Order now]
The next introduction was for the iPod touch one of the major updates was with the price reduction as well as the availability of the white model.
What’s new with the iPod touch?
- Ultra thin design
- Retina display
- HD video recording
- iOS 5 and iCloud
Similar to the iPod nano, the price reduction makes this an awesome deal with the prices of $199 for 8GB model, $299 for 32GB model, and $399 for 64GB model. All sizes come in both black & white and they will be available for order on October 12th same date as the release of the iOS5. [Order Later]
On this day we witnessed the updates that Apple has deigned to grace us with. The event marked the first event in which Tim Cook introduces new products and is the first event in which we did not see our beloved Steve Jobs. For this event I will be posting each update separately in different posts so as to not over crowd your eyes with talk here and there. So let’s give you a summary:
- Tim Cook took the stage and gave us the updates in regards to the retail store launch, there are now 357 total stores in 11 countries. He gave a walk through each of Apple’s four product areas: The Mac and Lion: 6 million copies of Lion sold so far up 80% of Snow Leopard and 23% year-over-year growth for Mac, 58 million users; Music: market share has been above 70% for a very long time and the iPod has 78% share right now with over 300 million iPods sold, and the iTunes Store has 20 million tracks with over 16 billion downloads; iPhone: 125% year-over-year growth, the iPhone 4 is responsible for over half of their total iPhone Sales ever #1 smartphone in the world; and finally iPad: has 75% market share in the US with high customer satisfaction rating and iPads showing up everywhere it is the #1 tablet in the world.
- Scott Forstall came on stage to talk about iOS5 highlighting the top ten features which were mentioned earlier this year. Before that we were given an overview of iOS being the #1 mobile operating system with 43% market share, Apple has paid out $3 billion to developers and sold 18 billion App Store downloads. Top ten features: Notification Center, iMessage, Reminders app, Twitter Integration, Newstand, Camera app, Game Center, Safari, Mail, PC-Free Setup. iOS5 will be available as a free download on October 12th.
- Cards, a new app released by apple that allows you to create your own greeting card on your phone and Apple will print your photo/design and mail it to them for 2.99$ mailed within the US and 4.99$ worldwide. The app is a free download available on October 12th.
- Eddy Cue came on stage to discuss iCloud highlighting its features: it is integrated right into apps, everything happens automatically, photo stream documents in the cloud, and the coolest thing is that daily backups of contacts and calendars across your devices are up in the cloud. Find my Friends is a new app in which you can share your location with a bunch of friends and stalk them. iTunes Match is the ability to scan and match your entire library to the iTunes Catalog, create and edit playlists, updated across devices for only 24.99$ per year. iCloud launches October 12th, iTunes Match at end of October in the US.
- Phil Schiller came on stage to talk about the iPods and introduces the new iPod Nano and iPod Touch. (Goodbye iPod Classic, you are as good as dead) [Link]
- iPhone 4S is introduced [Link]
- Scott Forstall on stage for a Siri demo.
- Phil Schiller back on stage to continue with the Siri demo.
- Tim Cook back on stage to wrap up.
And with that marks the end of the event.
We are almost 2 hours away from the Apple “Let’s talk iPhone” event and I am getting excited hell I am sitting here anticipating a brand new baby to come out! My new child! Yaay! A new addition to my family it’s been a while since I last purchased an Apple product, last time was hmmm I believe April with my MacBook Pro!
Can’t wait! I’m counting the minutes! Be sure to come back later to see the post summarizing the event!
P.S. I am actually moments away from copying his pose!
One of the main reasons I have started to blog more is the fact that I downloaded an application from the Mac App Store called “MarsEdit” it is a desktop blog editting tool for Mac and based on the website and my opinion:
The best way to write, preview, and publish your blog.
For the price of 39.95$ (which is not so cheap) you get an awesome blogging tool that makes you ditch the web-based WordPress Dashboard which at times becomes so slow due to the Web Browser you view it in. Sometimes you don’t want to be online in order to write your posts but you have to get online to actually access the back-end of your site to write them with this app, in other words you would be able to “think outside the browser.”
Personal Opinion: I’ve been using it for the past week or so and I absolutely love it. My main love about this application is the way you upload the photo into the post instead of waiting for it to upload via the web it just gets in there and all you need to do is publish it and then it gets uploaded along with the post. Now when blogging it is easier and faster and I get to not want to kill myself waiting for an image to upload and insert. If you are a Mac user then I highly recommend this app. True it’s a bit expensive but it sure is worth it. If you ever lost a post due to your browser freezing, or site going down now it’s so much easier to access it all with this offline application.
- Rich and HTML Text Editing: Whether you love HTML or can’t bear the sight of it, MarsEdit’s editor will thrill you. If you prefer the best of both worlds, you can switch easily between the two.
- Wildly Compatible: works well with WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr, Squarespace, TypePad, Movable Type and dozens more through standard MetaWeblog and AtomPub interfaces.
- Perfect Previews: Build a template to match your blog, then let MarsEdit’s live preview show you how your posts will look before you publish them. Use Markdown? MarsEdit will preview that, too.
- Your Editor or Ours: Combine the power of MarsEdit with your favorite editor. Integrates cleanly with BBEdit, SubEthaEdit, TextMate, TextWrangler, and any editor that supports that ODBEditor suite.
- Media at your Fingertips: Quickly scan your iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom, or Flickr libraries, and insert images into your blog post with the click of a button.
- Easy File Uploads: Upload images and files directly to your blog, or attach them to a post for automatic upload-on-publish. MarsEdit will even resize them to suit your needs.
- Re-Blog It!: Add our “Blog This” bookmarklet to your browser’s button bar. Now when you discover something cool, you can start a new MarsEdit post with the click of a button.
- Offline Freedom: Write when you want to, without an internet connection. Fine-tune your masterpiece on the boat, plane, or train, and publish when you get back online.
Read More about it and maybe even purchase it here. [Link]
There is not one person out there who doesn’t love a crazy insane deal, and for the gadget freaks out there the ultimate deal is one that’s electronic-y! Blink.com.kw is starting a new thing this week, it’s their “Crazy Deal of the Week.”
How does the “Crazy Deal of the Week” work?
Every week the Blink Sales Team selects a fast selling product and sells it at a significantly reduced price, so reduced that it’s always lower than its cost price.
Want an example of a “Crazy Deal?”
- Apple iPad 2 16GB regularly sells for 144 KWD. Crazy Deal of Week will be 99 KWD.
- Blackberry Bold 9900 regularly sells for 219 KWD. Crazy Deal of Week will be 159 KWD.
- Samsung 640GB USB External HDD regularly sells for 17 KWD. Crazy Deal of Week will be 9 KWD.
And there would be more craziness out there…
Are the quantities limited for every deal?
Of course they are or else we would they would be out of business very soon. It’s only quantity of 5 items per crazy deal that would be available.
Which day of the week will this deal be uploaded on and at what time?
It would be unfair to state a day or time for the deal to be uploaded so to make it fair for everyone to get a chance in getting a hold of a deal before its sold out, all that they can say is that it will be a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday. As for the timing it will be launched on different timings each week. Either at 10AM, 6PM, or 10PM.
What is the maximum quantity that can be bought per customer?
One item per customer.
Note: Blink staff, shops, resellers will not be eligible to buy items displayed in the “Crazy Deal of the Week”. Blink has the right to deny the delivery of any order that is found to be a reseller or shop. The reason we’re doing this is because the quantity is very limited and the whole idea of the “Crazy Deal of the Week” is for their customers to enjoy the benefit of those deals.