Warning: This post is quite long, and due to the fact that I am utterly fascinated by this movie I have decided to share some opinions of mine regarding this fascination. I am not discriminating any of the religions portrayed in this movie nor am I supporting any of them. I am merely stating an observation or two I happened to think about. Feel free to comment as you wish but bear in mind that I am free to have my own opinion as you are.
It is quite late at night yet I am still writing this post, and the reason is that the movie is beyond beautiful. The acting and its exactness of the actual story is beyond beyond beautiful. I might be slightly biased here but I doubt it is because Al Pacino, Joseph Fiennes, Jeremy Irons, Lynn Collins, nor any of the other talented actors’ magical deliverance of the play.
The Merchant of Venice happens to be one of Shakespeare’s plays, a comedy within a tragedy within a comedy of some sort. No that is not how you shall see it, the play in my point of view is more tragedy than comedy yet by my trying to understand it much more clearer of course through reading analyses on Sparknotes I found out that there are comedic scenes. The story is basically about how Bassanio wants to court a lovely heiress named Portia but has no means of wealth due to his debts and therefore seeks his friend Antonio in hope of gaining means to capture this Portia. Yet Antonio’s wealth is tied in his sailing ships and other trading endeavors that he points Bassanio to a Jew Moneylender named Shylock. Shylock angry at Antonio for his show of disrespect to his religion and work and self strives to gain a means of some sort of equality by allowing Bassanio to borrow on the name of Antonio the sum of 3000 ducats for a period of 3 months, if he fails, then Antonio pays with a pound of his flesh from his breast closest to his heart.
The story is beyond beautiful in my point of view, it allows you to think rather than just fill your head with non-sense, the events unravel in a strange way yet they are still beautiful. Yet I can’t help but think of the many objects I have observed. For example, knowing that even in these modern times a battle between religions is fought, why is it that I prefer championing the Jew in this play rather than the Christians. I understand that Christianity came after Judaism but I can’t help but feel that Judaism is semi-closer to Islam than Christianity. It is one thing that I observed, one thing that made me feel a sad ending happened rather than a happy one, because the Jew lost everything. Do not misunderstand me and think that I am taking sides against those religions, its just that I feel Christianity has been played with so much that the truth of the religion is hard to see.
One other wondering however that comes to mind is: knowing that if any Jew or Christian converts to Islam then its a great thing but what if a Jew converts to Christianity is that viewed as good in our religion? Regardless of some similarities between religions, Christians’ major differences are in the food and drink that they consume, and therefore that makes me wonder.
Shakespeare was a smart man, he still is, he lives in his work and because of that he is very smart. He wrote such a strong play and hid within it more than one theme, more than one object to ponder on. He gave a comedic image hidden within it many non-comedy items. Themes seen in this play range from Religious, Humanitarian, Emotional, and plays on the different Relationships whether it is homosexual or heterosexual. It is truly a full and well rounded play.
Therefore, I advise you to see it because in my books this play is more than worth it.
P.S. It is the 2004-2005 Remake of the play and not the earlier versions, I believe the scenary and graphics used in this one are superbly done.
P.P.S. This is one of my most serious posts in a while, do read it thoroughly.
Do you hear that?!
There’s nothing, it’s just so quiet it sounds like a dead tomb, that’s why I turned on the television and have it on Paramount, even though I am not facing the TV. That’s why if the TV isn’t on I have my iTunes on and loud not on headphones anymore. And that’s why it’s scarier living this way now.
Although the sweetest thing is: I get to go out now and enjoy some sun in my Diablo LOL! No not a Diablo Lamborghini, regardless of the fact that I would love that car LOL! I still wouldn’t drive it :P It’s just too flat on the floo’
It’s so cool now though :P Anywho I had weird thoughts in my head today lots of comparisons between old british times and semi-modern arab times. We really actually shared some common thoughts and yet I am not sure I read anyone writing about that. I mean one thing I’d like to mention is the fact that men back in the 17th-18th Century had their “White’s” or other Gentlemen clubs where they would go to gamble, drink, and just be away from women. We in Kuwait have our Dewaniyas which in fact have a similar concept although instead of gamble its just playing normal cards and instead of drink its just tea or coffee drinking. And that’s one of my observations. So what do you think about that?
P.S. I modified the Feed’s Theme and now its much more nicer and cleaner but I would like to request from all of you to check that your Blogspot feeds are on “Short” and not “Full” so that I can have it summarized really. :) Otherwise thank you mes amis.
Am I really selfish? Really I ask you this because I am wondering if I really am, if I am shallow or selfish or all that and more. But then again you still love my selfish, stubborn, shallow self don’t you? :P I am aiming this question at you Papillona! LOL! Just kidding hon.
Anywho less than 2 hours until LONE RANGER TIME!
HAMMER TIME! (Music sounding) Can’t touch this! (Music Noises) Can’t Touch this! Hammer TIME!
LOL! It was funny imagining me doing that LOL! Hehehe oh well, so yeah as I was saying, I’ll miss lilo the most although I would be glad the house will finally be quiet for once LOL! But all I can say baby is that I am turning all their computers off and lessening the load on the network and then my friends, only then! I will ROCK LIKE I SHOULD! At FULL SPEEED! Sadly the internet in Kuwait is slowing down :/
Anywho off to the airport!
Dear Papa Johns,
I’m sorry but I had to cheat on you tonight, I had to go and order me some Pizza Hut because they had a special offer going on and I kinda loved it! Papa, they are offering 3 medium pizzas with 1 bottle of Pepsi for 4.000KD and that is just too good to be true! So I had to go with them.
Anywho, lots of weird thoughts are flowing through my head, and yet I can’t voice them out because one minute they flow outside of my mind’s premises. But I can tell you all this:
Starting tomorrow evening I am all alone! Well not really Papi is still home but my sisters and Mother are leaving for a week. And therefore I have much much more calmness to live with at home. I am already planning my Saturday outing with Auntie to Gaucho Grill, hopefully Papi can make it with us.
So anyways, That’s all there is to it, I better get on back to my stuff.
Adieu mon amies
1. Male friend: Jack my teddy bear.
2. Female friend: Four really: Hays, Swair, Sou, and Ananyah. (The Knights of The Cafeteria are and will always be my closest female friends as well!)
3. Vacation: USA, I had a blast last time I was there, it was such a different pace of life than the one here in Kuwait. But I can’t wait to try an Italian Vacation!
1. Time of day: The minute I wake up!
2. Day of the week: Fridays.
3. Color crayon: Grey, it never colors that well :/
1. Person you talked to that goes/went to your school: Online: Marzouq, On Phone: Hays.
2. Talked to on the phone: Jack my teddy bear.
3. Text: Jack my teddy bear as well.
4. Person who Instant Messaged: No one yet. Last night though Laialy.
1. What are you doing now: Feet up on one of the other chairs, Powerbook in my lap, craving something sweet to eat while filling out this damned tag.
2. Wearing: Pajamas.
1. Is: One day before my sisters and mother leave to Dubai.
2. Got any plans: Do the work that I have left sitting out.
3. Goal: Make sure to finish alot of it before I turn in.
4. Dislikes about tomorrow: The squishy feeling in me when I get faced with a semi-deadline.
1. Number: 6 (But also sometimes 4)
2. Song: Mariah Carey – My All
3. Color: Black, Red, Purple. ( I am not that picky when it comes to colors)
1. Missing Someone: Not really, maybe missing my Swair.
2. Mood: Ticked off a bit but otherwise I’m fine.
3. Wanting: My Sunflower seeds!
I am a cuddler: True.
I am a morning person: False.
I am a perfectionist: True.
I am an only child: False. (I wish)
I am currently in my pajamas: True.
I am currently pregnant: False.
I am currently suffering from a broken heart: False
I am left handed: False
I am addicted to Blogging: True.
I am online 24/7: True
I am very shy around the opposite gender: Not neccessarily.
I can be paranoid at times: Sometimes.
I currently have a crush on someone: False
I currently regret something that I have done: False.
I enjoy country music: False.
I enjoy smoothies: False.
I enjoy talking on the phone: True.
I have a hard time paying attention at school/work: True.
I have a hidden talent: True.
I have a lot to learn: True.
I have a secret that I am ashamed to reveal: False.
1. Are you currently mad at someone? Yes.
2. Which of your friends has the worst temper? Fantasia I believe other than me.
3. Have you ever thrown something at anyone? Not that I recall.
4. Ever had something thrown at you? Can’t remember.
5. When you?¢â‚¬â„¢re mad do you prefer to stare angrily or yell and scream?All of the above.
1. Has anyone ever thrown you a surprise party for you?
Nope The Knights of the Cafeteria threw me a lovely Surprise party for my 22nd Birthday :P Aww those were the days: Thanks Nuttie, Swair, Lily, Princess, Fantasia, Kalikaboki, Dorie, and the rest of the gang although those are the preliminary members.
2. Are you easily excited? Sometimes
3. What are you most excited about? New toys. (Technological or Books)
4. If you won a million dollars what would be your first thought? Oh Happy Day!
5. If you could have anything right now what would it be? My own place with a killer view!
1. Name: Jacqui (Jimmy)
2. Where were you born? South Beach Hospital, Miami, Florida.
3. What?¢â‚¬â„¢s your main goal in life? To make my parent’s life miserable?
4. How do you want to die? Quick.
1. Sex before marriage? It’s none of my business.
2. Gay Marriage? If they love each other why not?
3. Lower the Drinking age? Why?
4. Recycling? Sure.
1. What was your latest dream? Of all the days, I don’t remember this dream LOL.
2. Have any of your dreams come true? Yes one or two.
3. What was the weirdest dream you?¢â‚¬â„¢ve ever had? That I was being chased around secret tunnels in Malaysia by brutal men, men who looked more like burly pirates. As I mentioned before I have weird dreams. Oh yeah that and the fact that our old place was burning down and I barely escaped.
1. Straight, Gay, Bi? Wouldn’t you like to know.
2. Do you have a bf/gf? Wouldn’t you like to know that as well? Yes I have Jack my teddy bear.
3. Do you have a crush? Nope.
How many beds did you lay in yesterday? One
What color shirt are you wearing? White Tank (part of my PJ)
Name one thing that you do everyday? Procrastinate.
What color are your walls? Browns (You all saw them now)
How much cash do you have on you right now? Nothing, Nada, Zip, Zero.
I can?¢â‚¬â„¢t wait till?¢â‚¬?¦? I leave Kuwait.
When was the last time you saw your dad? 2 seconds ago.
What did you have for dinner last night? Nothing actually, however I made myself a midnight snack of Cheese sandwiches.
What?¢â‚¬â„¢s the last piece of clothing you borrowed from someone? My sisters borrow my clothes, I don’t borrow their’s well maybe last night I borrowed my sister’s shirt.
What website(s) do you visit the most during the day? Gmail, My Blog, My Feeds, Safat, Dlisted, Trent, Just Jared, Superficial, iToot, Engadget, and Gizmodo.
Does anything hurt on your body right now? Nothing.
HAVE YOU EVER:
1. Have you ever failed a class? Once in 6th grade, well not fail but I got a D+ in Science and once in High School I got a D+ in Pre Calculas.
2. Have you ever sung in front of a crowd? Nope
3. Have you ever not taken a shower for 3 days? Nope.
4. Have you ever slept with a night light? Nope.
5. Have you ever danced in the rain? Nope.
6. Have you ever lied? Now why should I admit to that?
7. Have you ever had contacts? Yea but I can’t be bothered to put them on all the time.
8. Have you ever tripped over something stupid? I think so.
1. Samosa, Pakora, Kebab: Sambosa if it’s not that then Kebab
2. Bollywood, Lollywood, Hollywood: Hollywood
3. Love marriage, Arranged marriage: Love Marriage.
4. Honeymoon, no moon: Honeymoon.
5. How many kids would u like 1,2, 3+: It’s a tie between 2 and 3.
6. Kulfi, Ice cream: Ice cream
7. Shah ruk khan, Orlando Bloom: Neither, I’d rather have Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, Channing Tatum, and The Italian Football team.
8. Meenar-e-Pakistan, Eiffel Tower: Leaning Tower of Pisa.
9. Lahore, Khi, Islambad: Italy.
I tag: YBF (my sister), Ananyah, Sou, Orange Juice, Nonawz, Delicately Realistic, Princess, The Stallion, Fallen Angel, Rampurple, Papillona, Nunu, The Don, well who am I kidding, everyone that’s on my blog roll at “Jacqui Feeds” is tagged and everyone else who reads this.
I hate you dodo for doing this to me, I truly do :/
You have to check out this video because seriously when I saw it I was rolling on the floor with tears LOL! It’s that funny, well not necessarily rolling around the floor but still. To be cheered up just check it out:
Click on the image to view the video.
She rushed quickly to get everything ready for her girlfriends. They were on their way and she was running out of time. Running through her mental checklist she checked off the goodies, the pictures, the movies, and the music that will play in the background if they decide to just sit and enjoy a chat or so.
It’s been a while since she had some time to herself really, she’s been swamped with a large number of things, now that she’s not single anymore, but she needed her girls, needed to feel young again with them, one more time, she thought.
Excited and anticipating the night of fun, she looks around the room and makes sure everything is ready. She calls me, her best friend, to check what time I’m coming over, and I ensure her that it’ll be the best night ever with everything.
God, I can’t even imagine all the fun we’ll get into tonight. It’ll be like old days, like our college days, and I just can’t wait for that to happen. Wops now I have to get ready and prepare myself for a night of fun.
— A short prediction of our ‘Girls Night In’ with Swair.?‚? Can’t wait to see the girls again, However we’ll be missing two of our vital members, Dorie and Princess but oh well! We’ll try and see them some time soon.