Earlier this month on June 6th I received an invitation from The Scientific Center of Kuwait to attend the screening of their latest IMAX movie “Space Junk 3D” and being an avid Space fan (I bet you didn’t know that, now did you!) I was excited to attend.
Growing up I was a major Space fan, I am not sure why now but I remember that in High School I dropped Chemistry class to take an Astronomy class and I loved every bit of it, the stars, the planets, the galaxies. So this movie was more of a treat to me than anything else. You see this movie simply talks about how the misconception of the whole “Space is so big it can withstand everything” is really not true and that we are technically running out of space in space. With all the satellites, radars, space stations, and all that junk we have up there some of which is working and some of it is not we are risking ourselves with the amount of accumulated “space junk” any two objects no matter how small or big if they get into each others orbit and collide then they will generate a mess of things that will keep multiplying. In the movie you will learn what is the cause of the accumulating “space junk” and the suggested ways that some scientists or individuals to clean up the mess. It is truly inspiring!
It took me a short while but after searching endlessly through all the couches in the house, underneath my bed, and everywhere else really I have finally placed the order on my brand new customized MacBook Pro Retina Display! Yippeeee!
I know, I know, every single person who reads this blog and who knows me in real life will go “What the hell do you need that one for!” and well I will simply answer “just because…” No seriously, you see I currently have a MacBook Pro 17″ Early 2011 (which happens to be my main computer) I have it connected to a 27″ Apple Cinema Display and I also have a MacBook Air 13″ Late 2011 (which happens to be the computer I use at work now since I hate *Shitdows*) and last but not least I have the MacBook Air 11″ Late 2010 (which is my take with me when I wear a smaller bag everywhere laptop!)
You see since I already have the 17″, 13″, and 11″ quotas filled I seem to have a gap with the 15″ line and that’s where the brand new MacBook Pro Retina Display fits! Not to mention that drool worthy screen that will make you eyegasm every time you see something with it! I simply placed an order on the:
- 2.6 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6 GHz
- 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM (Upgraded from 8GB Standard option)
- 512GB Flash Storage
And although I placed an order on Wednesday June 20th with an estimated ship date of July 19 – 26, that order for some reason got cancelled, but rest assured I placed it again and the shipping estimate is now July 20 – 26 and I seriously can’t wait!
Oh and yeah I ordered another one for a friend of mine, he took the maxed out version but not with a maxed out processor since really the 2.7GHz doesn’t make a difference it’s the RAM that’s important.
Sometimes the only reason I take so long in posting about the different events I get invited to is the fact that I have to come home sift through close to 50+ photos picking out my favorites, open up Photoshop and editing them to better suit this blog. Because that process is lengthy sometimes I just feel too exhausted and so I put it off until a lot of time goes by.
I am trying to amend that problem by editing photos as soon as I come home and uploading everything, seriously I’ve got things I wanted to write about that took place in February and I haven’t done anything about them!
So really it’s not me hating the event or not wanting to write about it or the likes of that but it’s merely the lengthiness of photo editing that makes the process all seem too tedious. I seriously need to come up with an automated script in Photoshop that will apply all the effects/watermarks I want by just clicking a button!
So here is hoping I finish a majority of my “Previously” posts this weekend!
What better way is there to thank my beloved loyal readers than by giving them an amazing offer courtesy of the yummy Blimpie Restaurant. Seriously, they say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach well I say that’s the way into any person’s heart (hell it’s the way into mine!)
So what’s the offer you say? Well whenever you purchase any of their COMBO meals you will immediately get a FREE 6-inch Sub sandwich by merely mentioning that you are a “Couch Avenue” reader! Simple isn’t it? Yes it’s that simple! Simply go into Blimpie’s restaurant located at Maidan Hawally (right across the street from American International School (AIS)) and order what your heart desires. And if you’re lazy to walk right in and you live in Maidan Hawally, Salmiya, Shaab or Jabriya then you can simply call +965 657 97114 or +965 659 22588 and place your order to have it delivered directly to your couch (yes I imagine all of you are couch potatoes!)
So hurry up and get on this crazy food bonanza!
For more info about Blimpie’s you can find them on the below channels:
So last May most of our Fall TV Shows faced the cancellation ax or barely escaped it with its head on its shoulder. (Hmmm for some reason that doesn’t make sense but anyways moving on…) There have been different ramblings about different shows these past few weeks and I have decided to list it ninja-style! So here goes:
- CBS Show “Unforgettable” although it was cancelled last May it could return during the summer of 2013, the series stars Poppy Montgomery as a police detective with hyperthymesia, a condition that enables here to visually remember everything. Sony Pictures TV appears to be trying to save the show and launch it as a summer show, whereas there are several rumors floating around that it might find a home on a different network, TNT or Lifetime. Nothing is for sure but if it does come back it’s an interesting show to keep on watching. [Source]
- ABC’s Show “Pan Am” has officially been cancelled, even though it received it’s ax last May there was still hope as the show’s creators were shopping around for other networks in order to air the next season on. And Sony was avidly trying to find a new home for the show, there was even some talk that Amazon could pick up the show for its streaming service however a deal never came through. So for all those fans (basically me included) all hopes are dead and we can all rest assured that they will forever live in our hearts. [Source]
- Showtime’s “Weeds” will be ending this year with the conclusion of its eighth season as reported by Entertainment Weekly. It seems that the network has decided that the show has taken more than its time for the series and that this one should be the last. Last season ended with Nancy Botwin (Mary-Louise Parker) finally finding a home to unit her disheveled family while at the same time unknowingly putting her life in danger. It will be fun seeing this final season however the creator Jenji Kohan is having some trouble trying to figure out how to end the show since up until a few days ago it wasn’t even known that this season will be the last. At least she has time to craft a well-written ending. New season will premiere on July 1st and I certainly can’t wait for it! [Source]
As I was perusing (that means browsing for those of you with a limited english vocabulary, not that I’m calling you limited but there you learned a new word :P) so as I was perusing my Google Reader feeds I came across this awesome article at Gizmodo which reveled the latest in the Computer-Geek Chic Fashion line.
They are a lovely pair of pixelated glasses, one of which I really would love to own! These babies are made by the Paris-based eyewear designer Dzmitry Samal and it just took the hipster glasses phase to a whole new level.
The frames apparently cost around 378$ (~106 KWD) and are made in France, using the most current technology and they come with an option of having 100% UV protection solar frame or translucent lenses fitted. You can order them online and I believe I might even get on that bandwagon! Aren’t they shmexy!
Two days ago Microsoft announced an update to their newest software version of the Windows Phone in the name of Windows Phone 8, now since I am not really that interested in it all I have decided to give a very brief summary and send you on your merry way to other sites that will give you the full details.
The Windows Phone Summit took place on June 20th in San Francisco, California in which the Microsoft VP Joe Belfiore gave a demo on eight of the biggest new features in the Windows Phone 8:
- New SIM-based NFC wallet experience (similar to iOS 6’s Passbook)
- Nokia Map technology for offline maps and turn by turn navigation
- Updated Customizable Home Screen
- Internet Explorer 10 for Windows Phone
- Latest Hardware: Multicore Chipsets, 3 Screen Resolutions, MicroSD Card support
- Native game development platform based on DirectX (so Game developers can write a game for both Windows 8 and Windows Phone
These features were among those mentioned. However the most interesting thing is that all current Windows Phone 7 devices are NOT UPGRADABLE to Windows Phone 8 which kind of sucks. This whole shindig is apparently set to arrive this fall I believe with the new Windows 8 platform. We’ll just have to wait and see how it plays out.
Apple has certainly found the right formula when it comes to updates and developing new hardware or software in which they do not alienate older hardware models unless it’s insanely necessary, whereas you now see Android and Windows phones becoming obsolete and not upgradable the minute a new OS comes out. Where is the innovation in that?
Anyways for more information do visit the following links to learn more about this new Windows creature.